Weatherstip Replacement for 83 GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I'm now at the point of prepping the car for new paint. Once that's done, I'd like to replace all the weatherstripping, i.e., around the T-roof, doors, as well as hood and trunk.

There are a few places that sell new weatherstripping, such as Steele Rubber, GBodyParts, MetroMoulded Parts, etc. Can anyone that has bought new weatherstripping recommend a place? Is it all manufactured by the same outfit and just re-sold under different names?

Thanks for any help on this.

Andry

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out.

Andry

P.S. As requested, here are pictures of wheel and tire.

thumb_Wheels_1.jpg
thumb_Wheels_2.jpg
thumb_Wheels_3.jpg

str8muzick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2009
deltona florida
nice

car looking real good got more pic...any of engine

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for the compliment. Here's one of the engine, but it's not finished. Once I'm done it'll be much cleaner and there won't be any wipers nor overflow tank. Stay tuned...

Andry

normal_GP_Mod_005.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have some from Soffseal (through Year One) and it is awful stuff. The door strips do not fit right and you have to stretch them to make it work. My car is not even finished yet and it is starting to tear around the bolt holes. It also came with push clips that were too small, necessitating me to remove the ones from the old weatherstripping and swap it out. Be sure to keep your old stuff for this reason.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I purchased a complete weatherstrip kit from 1A Auto. They seem to have lots of great parts for G bodies. Their weatherstripping is made by MetroMoulded Parts (i.e., SuperSoft). In a recent Chevy High Performance magazine article, SuperSoft was praised as a great product. I don't believe everything I read, but I've heard from other sources that SuperSoft is very pliable and remains so for a very long time. I'll provide feedback once I receive the kit.

Cheers,
Andry

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Unless they have merged, Soffseal and Metro are two different companies. Also, don't believe what you read in car magazines. They never give a bad review to a product for fear of losing their advertising revenue. There is no journalistic integrity to any of them. Do I read them? Yes, but I don't take their word for anything. If I see a product I like, I go online to look for negative posts on various forums about a company's products. After all, if someone is pissed, they usually let the world know about it. Too much negative that is not easily explained and I do not buy from that supplier.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
You are correct that SoffSeal and Metro are two different companies. I made a typo :? -- I meant to say SuperSoft. The review was about Metro (SuperSoft).

NOTE: I corrected my initial entry above so as not to mislead anyone.

As I stated, I researched before purchasing and found only good things about SoftSeal. BTW, I did say that I don't believe everything I read, especially in advertisement sponsored magazines. Journalism and integrity is not what it used to be.

Thanks for your input.
Andry

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor