Weatherstip Replacement for 83 GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaguarPGP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 11, 2009
Right next door to Hell, NJ
I also bought soffseal gaskets and I'm not too happy about them either. The gasket that fits on the t-top started pulling apart at the seam because it was too short. I sent them out and received replacements, but now they are doing it again. They have only been on the car for about 2 years.

JAWSS

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Ft.Hood, Texas
That is a very sick, well thought out Grand Prix!! It makes me miss my old 84 that I sold years ago. I was wondering if you could post some pics and part numbers of the Wilwood brake setup you used. Any help is appreciated.

J

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
Man that is one beautiful GP. I, like many others, went with soffseal because i heard good things about them. Its crap. They dont fit very well at all and i have to slam the door to get it shut all the way. I went with steele rubber this time around and am putting them in today, ill let u know how they are.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
If you guys are referring to my GP, then I really appreciate your compliments. Its the first car I ever owned -- factory ordered it in August 1982.

I've got the complete history on this car from day 1. Believe it or not, it's the original paint that you see in the pictures. However, it's now completely apart (inside and outside) and will get re-painted. The frame and most other parts (such as brackets, etc) are powdercoated satin black. The brake system was custom made to fit the car. Its based on Wilwood's SuperLites 4-piston calipers w/ 13" vented, slotted & cross-drilled rotors.

I posted some pictures (near the top of this thread). Let me know if you need any more info.

Andry

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
I live 2 miles away from Metro Molded Parts. (supersoft). I bought my weatherstripping from http://WWW.Dannoenterprises.com Sold me the same metro weatherstripping for 1/2 the cost of buying it direct. They're out of Florida. Metro wanted like $120 a pair for my wagon door seals. Danno Enterprises was like $65 and it was the exact same seal!

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
More pics of the brakes pleeeeaase. 8) Your car is badass!

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I'm glad you like the car. It's nice that someone can appreciate all the work that went into such a project. It's been a long road, but I enjoyed almost every minute.

Now that the car is all apart again, waiting for paint, I'm replacing most of the nuts, bolts and screws with new fasteners (most are stainless, but some are anodized black to keep them hidden). It's fun to work with clean (or new) parts -- everything goes together so much better. :) I'm also waiting for the bumpters to get re-chromed. A big expense will be re-chroming the aluminum rocker panels. Hopefully by next summer she'll be running again!

Here are some more brakes pictures. For other pictures, check out my photo gallery.

Andry

normal_GP_Mod_005~0.jpg
normal_GP_Mod_001.jpg
normal_GP_Mod_007.jpg
normal_GP_Mod_006.jpg
normal_GP_Mod_013.jpg

JAWSS

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Ft.Hood, Texas
Wow Andry, you spared no expense building that beauty!! Great job again and thank you for the info and pics.

J

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Again, thanks for the compliments! :D

The only thing that I can say is that almost all the work was done by my son and I. It wasn't one of those "write a cheque and see the end product" kind of deals. We love working on cars and enjoy taking our time to get things right. I keep track of all the expenses (down to the bolts and washers), and it's those little things that add up and make you realise how much that "hobby car" drains your wallet. :(

Good luck with your project!
Andry

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor