What could cause the timing marks to constantly move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jamesejam said:
Is there a vacuum advance on a 1987 distributor? I looked everywhere and can't find a vacuum hose, there's just electrical wires attached to the distributor.

I don't think there is vacuum advance either. I guess just pre-1981.

Is there any allowance for play on a distrbutor rotor? When the car is off, I can move the rotor with my hand about 1/4 inch. Is this normal, or is this why my timing fluctuates?

If you can move it by hand them I'm leaning more toward the distributor being loose as to what is causing the problems. It could be that the bolt has been tightened down so much or overtighted that its stripped. If you can move it by hand then it will move when driving.

Is the retaining bolt tight? As for your timing, you need to jump the a&b terminals in the diagnostic port while the car is running to set the timing. (Top row, 2 most right terminals) If you don't you'll be off big time. Read the emmisions tag on the fan shroud for tune up instructions.

I would double check the timing chain for any slop. My old 305's chain was really stretched and it had about 73 thousand miles on it.A old mechanic told me how to check it by taking the distributor cap off and then putting a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer and turning it and the rotor should turn with it as well. My rotor wasn't turning in conjunction with the balancer being turned.
My timing was really off too in order for it to run right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor