What did you do to your G-Body today 2024

No KaBoom???? With that level of destruction, there should have been an earth-shattering KA-BOOM!!!
Gotta second the notion of the school shops cut-away motor idea. Most of the heavy lifting is done already. Both seven and eight are junk, the oil pump has been sheared away, The split runs all the way from the #7 exhaust through the water jacket and down through that back freeze plug boss and then down and across to end at the starter motor boss. I can almost think that that block had been injured already; just wasn't showing or making noises about it, and finally just succumbed to an increasing level of damage over time. Just as a question here, did you happen to sonoflux or magnaflux that block when You built the mill?
Nick
oh no there was quite a noise to be heard along with fluids.yes the block got the full treatment when it was built a year and a half ago.it is what it is.i'm just thankful that i didn't wreck the car.the coolant could've hit the tires and sent me elsewhere or worse.all that said the block is 51 years old so anything's possible..yes this totally blows as i spent more than i've ever spent on a motor and the broken bellhousing is the cherry on top.like i said could've been worse.

I think the transmission can be welded back together and it will be fine. Used to know a guy that did stuff like that but he is building hot rods in heaven now.

Reactions: Sweet_Johnny
I think the transmission can be welded back together and it will be fine. Used to know a guy that did stuff like that but he is building hot rods in heaven now.
I've had a bellhousing welded back together, and did the same with a tailshaft housing. Neither gave me any trouble since I knew a good welder.

On that 350 shift issue, Just me thinking that it might be the governor springs hanging up and not letting the weights walk out the way they are supposed to.
I'm going to pull the governor this weekend n mess with it. The trans sat for an unknown time before I got it so it's a good possibility it's sticky. WOT it upshifts at 4200rpm on the dot (on my tach at least) consistently, when it is behaving and already shifting normally. It has a new modulator that worked on the other trans.
Hopefully it's something dumb, I want it to last at least until I get the floor on the k1500 fixed. Then maybe I'll put that "shifted when pulled" 200r4 in.

When you changed the modulator did you pull the modulator valve from the transmission? Use a magnet to pull it out, if it doesn't just slide out it is dirty and likely sticking. If it is grubby clean it with a scotchbrite pad kind of thing, don't use anything metal or abrasive on it, the sharp edges on the valve surfaces help keep it clean.

That's my first thought when you say it has been sitting a long time and warming up helps it to work correctly.

TH350 Modulator and valve.png

Added picture incase of any confusion.

Last edited:
When you changed the modulator did you pull the modulator valve from the transmission? Use a magnet to pull it out, if it doesn't just slide out it is dirty and likely sticking. If it is grubby clean it with a scotchbrite pad kind of thing, don't use anything metal or abrasive on it, the sharp edges on the valve surfaces help keep it clean.

That's my first thought when you say it has been sitting a long time and warming up helps it to work correctly.

View attachment 246344
Added picture incase of any confusion.
Not gonna lie I completely forgot there is a valve back there. I'll check that too.

If the section of the bellhousing can't be re-attached, then Quick Time makes a series of bell housing adapters. For that install you do need to shear away the existing bell but you are half way there already. Their adapters attach to the front pump housing bolts, (I think) Might be a practical alternative to the cost of taking the box apart, Don't think that a welder will try to work on a built t-mission and as a rule they want things squeaky clean, dry, and pristine before they will try to do a MIG or TIG run on aluminum as even the least minute amount of contamination on or in the metal will blow up the pass.

Nick

Reactions: melloelky
Had to get some pics for AAA, when the Monte got towed home with the flat tire I guess he encountered a tree that left marks all over the passenger side. I originally was gonna let it go because I am tired of dealing with issues. But pretty much got every part of the car on the passenger side

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor