What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Since this is my random dumping ground for salvage yard pictures.

1610126532882.png

1610126552623.png

1610126587904.png

1610126598562.png

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Scotchbrited... Scotchbrote?.......
Cleaned up the choke flap rod and the choke doohicky that slips into the side of the carb so the damn choke wouldn't stick open and make cold starts a b*tch.

I pride myself in being able to start my carbed stuff instantly. It drives me insane when I can't.
Even moreso when people say "it's an old vehicle they all do that."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Scotchbrited... Scotchbrote?.......
Cleaned up the choke flap rod and the choke doohicky that slips into the side of the carb so the damn choke wouldn't stick open and made cold starts a b*tch.

I pride myself in being able to start my carbed stuff instantly. It drives me insane when I can't.
Even moreso when people say "it's an old vehicle they all do that."

Yeah they do, when they're all neglected by ignorant broke asses. A lot of my dad's trucks were that way, but one day he brought an 86 F150 home with a 300-6 and that thing acted like it was fuel injected. I didn't know that was possible to that point.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Worked on a friends '13 Ram 1500 with a Hemi. It had a no heat concern. Full of coolant, checked the blend door actuator, working. Then realized the right side had a little heat, but the drivers side basically none. This vehicle is NOT equipped with dual zone temperature control. Both heater hoses were warm. Decided to flush and back flush the heater core. Burped the coolant system, tried the heater again. I have some heat now. The core was NOT plugged. Guess it's a common issue on these. Cores partially plug, can still flow coolant but won't blow heat. I'm not doing a core on this. Gotta evac the A/C system, remove the dash. Sorry bud, I have better things to do LOL

Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Worked on a friends '13 Ram 1500 with a Hemi. It had a no heat concern. Full of coolant, checked the blend door actuator, working. Then realized the right side had a little heat, but the drivers side basically none. This vehicle is NOT equipped with dual zone temperature control. Both heater hoses were warm. Decided to flush and back flush the heater core. Burped the coolant system, tried the heater again. I have some heat now. The core was NOT plugged. Guess it's a common issue on these. Cores partially plug, can still flow coolant but won't blow heat. I'm not doing a core on this. Gotta evac the A/C system, remove the dash. Sorry bud, I have better things to do LOL

Been there, done that, it sucks!

20170122_173103.jpg

20170122_161717.jpg

Pretty sure I've plugged this before. The labor involved with what should be a simple job is criminal.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN2719.JPG

My double headed work light also makes a great hat rack.

DSCN2724.JPG

The first of a pair of shots showing my completed exhaust pipe system under the Monte Carlo. For those who might opine that this ought to be over in the other what did you do forum, this is just as much about the amount of light that my new LED"s put out as it is about the subject matter. On the topic of the mid run support hanger that I am considering, if you look closely at the upper right corner you can see some of the edge of the brace that crosses from floor pan to floor pan under the seats. Plan ?? is to box this bracket using a section of flat plate and then use that for the basis for locating mounting tabs or brackets to which the exhaust hangers could be then attached. I want the pipes to be able to move or respond to vibration or engine torque if needed.

DSCN2723.JPG

Moving towards the rear of the car exposes the rest of the exhaust system including the mufflers. As I commented a while ago, I elected to go with the Dyna Max style of muffler-tail pipe clamp instead of the guillotine type. The band clamp, in my opinion does just as good a job of securing the connection and without distorting the pipe should repairs or removal become necessary down the road. And again, the LED work light on its brand new much heavier base/stand makes sure that everything is easy to see.

DSCN2716.JPG

If you think making like a snake and slithering under the dash of your G-Body to deal with the spaghetti maze of wires that live there is a walk in the park, behold what resides behind the headlight on my 67 Harley. The occasion for this little incursion was an update to the signal system to give me turn signals that will stay on for a set period without having to keep a thumb firmly on the turn signal button. Around here you almost have to carry a spare helmet that you can use to whack the windshield of the idiot behind you to get them to get their head out of their *ss mounted cell phone and realize that you are going to be making a turn.

DSCN2718.JPG

And, of course, there is the inevitable round of cleaning and polishing that is the consequence of having things chromed. What you are seeing here is old chrome; parts that were done around 40 years ago when the mere mention of chrome wasn't tantamount to a declarations of war against the environment. Up close it does have that bluey glitter to it that means the plater used a copper base layer before applying the nickel and chromium top layers. A complete front to back, side to side buff and fluff is an eight hour exercise; I never do it in one pass as I would hurt for a week from all the crawling and twisting necessary to get into all tight corners. And as for Q-tips to access the little crevices; stick 'em in yer ear!

DSCN2722.JPG

Last for now, a shot of my test hook up of the slings to my cherry picker. I had originally planned to use the gizmos that I showed pictures of in an earlier thread as stand offs to guide the front sling but the test demonstrated that the sling wanted to pull away which made the gizmo put stress on the bellhousing ear. Not good. Thinking now that I can use the engine leveler with two short sections of drop chain carrying hooks to spread the slings further apart and give me a way to adjust the balance of the load to get it to rise and lower evenly. I don't have a spare set of hands attached to a warm body that will work for beer to give me some help so this is me making a helper that doesn't need periodic lubrication with alcohol or coffee to keep 'im animated.

Nick

Reactions: 4 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
IMG_20210110_174744.jpg

Got the new wood stove fired up for the first time. Everything is going well and the wife is warm. Good times.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor