Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN2701.JPG

So, just a couple of housekeeping projects that I have finished up. This shot is of the new bases that I elected to make for my work lights. These are 1000 lumen LED units but their "feet" are just some cheap flat plate that looks like it got recycled from the fender of a subaru that was originally built from the door skin of a buick. The raw stock is a combination of 1/8th flat plate and angle, along with some .060 wall tube. Didn't have the correct color of industrial yellow to spray them with so they will stay as is until I can find a can.

DSCN2703.JPG

DSCN2705.JPG

These next two shots are of a pair of gizmos that I created to help me lift the incoming transmission for my non G-Body G-Body, that being my G-10 van. The original idea was to attach them to the mounting ears of the t-mission bell as shown in the one pic and loop slings through each of them and then pick the slings up with the cherry picker hook. That idea got a rethink due to the possibility of stressing and breaking the ears by hanging the weight of the t-mission off them directly. So Plan B is to use them as sling guides instead. The sling will go through one guide, wrap under the t-mission, and return topside through the other one. As guides they will keep the sling located where i want it to be and not wander off as slings are prone to do.

DSCN2710.JPG

For the curious who are by now wondering "WTF"?? What you are looking at is two edges made from section of 1/8th angle that have been tack welded to a piece of 1/8th flat plate. The two chain links are where they are because they are going to be welded on next in the locations that you see.. Once this is completed it will get attached to the corpse of an old back t-mission mount that I gutted the rubber biscuit out of. The objective is to create a locating guide that will accept another sling and by slipping it through the links keep it both centered and secured from moving around. The whole device will get bolted onto the tailshaft housing just like it would if it was a real rear t-mission mount. The objective here is to create a stable cradle for the t-mission using the slings and having them located using the gizmos and the guide so that they will stay in place once I have threaded them into position. Since this job is likely to be just me and no helping hands for the most part, having mechanical "helpers" to make the work easier tends to come in handy. I may post a pic of the rear guide once it is all burned together.

DSCN2709.JPG

So, going back to the work lights for just a paragraph or two more, this is one of the older units that is still mounted to the factory version of the "H" base. This is sort of the template that I used to replicate my bases, only in heavier material and different measurements for greater stability and less tip over. What you see is a section of light tube that has been tacked to one of the columns on my 20T press. It has a large enough ID that the end tubes on the light base can slip into it. This gives me a light that swivels back and forth as well as having head adjustment to focus the light where needed. If I need it elsewhere I can just slip it out of the tube and wander off with it. As a side note, the end tubes on my new H bases will also fit into that sleeve; which is sort of serendipity cause I had not measured the tube that I used prior to welding it to the cross pieces. It was mostly a case of what I had was what I used and it all seems to get along with itself.

DSCN2706.JPG

Finally, just a shot of my garage/shop/shed/cave resident heirloom. The backstory on this old vice is that my grandfather worked as a stationary engineer at one of the local grain elevators during the depression and the war. During those times nothing got thrown away unless it was considered to be beyond repair or salvage. Grandpa got around by using a bicycle when it was warm and the trolley when it wasn't; no money for a car and no license to operate one.
When he passed, this vice was sitting on a bench down in the basement of his house. How he got it home, attached to the fender of a bicycle, is a comment on Scottish determination and ingenuity. Anyway, one of my uncles called dibs on it and it disappeared for many years. Not sure if he ever did much with it because he was more of a woodworker and this old beast definitely has a machine shop or foundry pedigree. His wife, my aunt had asked me to do some work for her and I happened to notice it sitting on a work table in her basement and asked her if she had plans for it. She said no and that I could have it in due course. Due course came along and it followed me home to its current resting place. The keen eyed will have noticed that the one mounting ear shows signs of repair. The "repair" is the actual re-attachment of the complete ear to the side/base of the vice body by means of brazing using what I suspect is high tensile bronze alloy rod. The elevators were like the shipyards and had their own machine and repair shops so this type of repair would have been a cheap date for the machinists and millwrights of that time. Whether it got repaired and then never returned to service or was broken and trashed and Grandpa did some horse trading or side jobs to score it and and get it repaired, I just don't know. it was typical of the era that people traded work for work and repaired what they could in exchange for getting stuff repaired that they needed to get fixed. For now it is home. I have discovered others like it on E-Gay for muy mas $$$ but the mfgr is defunct/extinct/gonzo. It's grasp of the obvious is not as good as it used to be; the teeth on the jaws have worn close to smooth over the decades, but then my grasp of the obvious is about as worn to that degree as well so we make a good pair.

Nick

Reactions: 4 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Son and I dragged home a $1,000 '84 Porsche 944 on Saturday. Kid we bought it from said wouldn't start. It was last registered/inspected/driven in 2003.

I figured the Fuel Injectors were stuck, Rock Auto had 4 Fuel injectors for $74 Shipped, so I ordered them. My kid diagnosed the Fuel Pump relay was bad, so He bypassed it with by wrapping it with a paper clip,

Had the fuel pump working by Sunday night, put new gas in it, and it cranks + fuel pressure, but still no start.

Fuel Injectors. arrived today (Very nice for $15 each), Just put them in. 4 Cranks to get fuel pressure later and it starts and idles @ 700 RPM. After 17 years.

Got to put a Slave/master cylinder/ timing belts/water pump/new hoses in it and We should have a running driving 944 for $2,500

The Tires are sad. They are 02' date codes and one still has the sticker on the tread (probably 25 miles max) but they cracked and weather checked and dead. Going to put some $58/tire tires on it.
How dare you tease us with no pics, aren't you aware if there isn't pics it never happened?!?!?!?!?! Congrats on the steal, looking forward to see what you guys do with it

Reactions: 1 user

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
The new year brought a new addition to my fleet. I got this 2006 GMC 1500. It will eventually become my younger son's. He's already a pretty big kid and doesn't think he'll fit well in something small like a Honda Civic or similar. He also said I can use it anytime I need it. :banana:

I had been looking for a GM or Ford 4X4 for the last few months. I didn't want or need a 3/4 ton, I didn't want a Dodge and I didn't want a Diesel. I did want / need 4-wheel drive given the snow we get here in Northeast Ohio. This one came up and looked to be pretty well maintained, very clean in and out and price was reasonable.

I've been going through it and have already changed all the fluids in both axles, transfer case, engine and transmission. I found the fuel lines along the frame were wet and starting to leak and the seller stood behind that and it's in the shop being fixed on his dime as I type this.

I have a few other misc. items to address and then the plan is for me to stuff my wagon at my sister's house for the rest of the winter and continue to sort this out as my daily. I'm out of covered space here. Then I'll start teaching Little Brother all about it as he starts practicing driving later this year.

IMG_20210103_145647654.jpg
IMG_20210103_145711583.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Clean GMC. Reminds me of my silver '06 GMC Xtended cab (mine was 2WD though).

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The new year brought a new addition to my fleet. I got this 2006 GMC 1500. It will eventually become my younger son's. He's already a pretty big kid and doesn't think he'll fit well in something small like a Honda Civic or similar. He also said I can use it anytime I need it. :banana:

I had been looking for a GM or Ford 4X4 for the last few months. I didn't want or need a 3/4 ton, I didn't want a Dodge and I didn't want a Diesel. I did want / need 4-wheel drive given the snow we get here in Northeast Ohio. This one came up and looked to be pretty well maintained, very clean in and out and price was reasonable.

I've been going through it and have already changed all the fluids in both axles, transfer case, engine and transmission. I found the fuel lines along the frame were wet and starting to leak and the seller stood behind that and it's in the shop being fixed on his dime as I type this.

I have a few other misc. items to address and then the plan is for me to stuff my wagon at my sister's house for the rest of the winter and continue to sort this out as my daily. I'm out of covered space here. Then I'll start teaching Little Brother all about it as he starts practicing driving later this year.

View attachment 166010 View attachment 166011

Color me impressed.

It has rockers!!!

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Someone took good care of it, looks really nice for it's years! Hope you get many miles of trouble free service from that GMC.

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Man I love my "OBS" Silverado, what's left of it anyway, inspect ALL the chassis fluid lines very carefully! I'd drill holes in the bottom of the rockers and pump them full of some hydrophobic, oily substance.

Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Clean GMC.

Not for long! :ROFLMAO:

Today I FINALLY got the front end right and winter worthy tires fitted. It all started about a year ago. You'd hit the brakes and the steering wheel would either point to the left or, if you held the wheel, the car would shoot off to the right. Found bad outer tie rods, good inners. No change. Hey look, hammered lower ball joints! The smoking gun! Another no. I had it aligned at this point thinking I had a cross camber or cross caster situation and that the nose dive under braking was exacerbating it. Nope. So I get a good look at the upper control arms and I see rubber getting squished out. Aha! New upper control arms with bushings! Upper ball joints felt good. Nope. FML. Only thing left is the lower control arm bushings at this point so I pulled the trigger. The arms themselves don't house the bushings, the chassis mounts do. I posted about this the other day and had a small victory dance. Well today I used my friend's alignment guy, $50 and 30 minutes later I was out the door with a 99% straight steering wheel and a car that went straight down the road. So I set course for my hangar which is where 3 good tires were sitting that matched the left rear (ran over a trailer tongue lock last winter and found a set of 4 good Michelins same as the rest of the tires on the car for $100). Got them all mounted and balanced. I should have taken a pic. The outer edges of the fronts were worn smooth from toeing in under braking. There's more meat now for the snowy roads that we'll see 2 or 3 more of this winter. But there's a baby about to come out, so we'll probably get hit then.

• Winner

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
New washer pump, lines, cleaned out the tank, and some window juice and i can see again.
always nice to make little fiddly stuff work.

Always cool to have people say "man even the*insert trivial thing here* still works?!"

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
Man I love my "OBS" Silverado, what's left of it anyway, inspect ALL the chassis fluid lines very carefully! I'd drill holes in the bottom of the rockers and pump them full of some hydrophobic, oily substance.
Fluid Film!
IMG_20201207_122900926_copy_2137x1603_1.jpg

• Agree
  • Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor