1.1.2021.13.jpg

1.1.2021.12.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So many aftermarket parts are garbage. They work for a short period of time and then die in a much faster time than an OE part.

The factory hood release cable on the Rainier was broken when I rebuilt it in 2014 when it hit a deer. Got a dorman cable to replace it, no problem. It started getting stiff this summer and has been really sticky this fall. Popped the hood this week at the gas station to fill the window washer and couldn't get it to return to the closed position to latch. Pryed on it with my screwdriver and got it to close. Tried to pop the hood yesterday and it wouldnt open. Pulled the cable inside the cab and the cable broke inside the sheath. Great.

Had to use a framing square to pop the latch open between the grill slots (lol) and I cut the sheath until I found unbroken cable. Running around with the redneck, (vicegrip) hood release until the new one shows up.

It's aggravating how a non wear aftermarket part has effectively a 5 year life whereas the OEM part would last decades and never fail. It looks like it started corroding from the inside of the sheath about 1ft back from the latch. A GM part isn't available from what I can see and it's not worth going to the salvage yard for a $14 part.

I think about 75% of the aftermarket parts I replaced on this thing when I first bought it 6 years ago have been replaced once or twice. Transfer case motors, AC pumps, heater blend doors, now this.

1609644619865.png

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
So ALL aftermarket parts are garbage. They work for a short period of time and then die in a much faster time than an OE part.

The factory hood release cable on the Rainier was broken when I rebuilt it in 2014 when it hit a deer. Got a dorman cable to replace it, no problem. It started getting stiff this summer and has been really sticky this fall. Popped the hood this week at the gas station to fill the window washer and couldn't get it to return to the closed position to latch. Pried on it with my screwdriver and got it to close. Tried to pop the hood yesterday and it wouldn't open. Pulled the cable inside the cab and the cable broke inside the sheath. Great.

Had to use a framing square to pop the latch open between the grill slots (lol) and I cut the sheath until I found unbroken cable. Running around with the redneck, (vicegrip) hood release until the new one shows up.

It's aggravating how a non wear aftermarket part has effectively a 5 year life whereas the OEM part would last decades and never fail. It looks like it started corroding from the inside of the sheath about 1ft back from the latch. A GM part isn't available from what I can see and it's not worth going to the salvage yard for a $14 part.

I think about 75% of the aftermarket parts I replaced on this thing when I first bought it 6 years ago have been replaced once or twice. Transfer case motors, AC pumps, heater blend doors, now this.
fixed that part about afterbirth parts for you..

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
They make good aftermarket parts and they make the throw away stuff that you are buying. The same companies that make the good (expensive) aftermarket parts make factory approved parts. They are sub-contractors and suppliers that you have never heard of and they are not in China. Dorman is not one of them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
They make good aftermarket parts and they make the throw away stuff that you are buying. The same companies that make the good (expensive) aftermarket parts make factory approved parts. They are sub-contractors and suppliers that you have never heard of and they are not in China. Dorman is not one of them.

Absolutely.

I try to buy OEM quality where I can

Problem is many times you can't get a OEM level tier 1 supplier aftermarket.

Nothing at the chain auto parts stores are OE quality. Maybe NAPA but o'really, advanced autocrap, and vatozone are half a step above garbage must of the time. Some stuff on rock auto is OE if you filter hard enough but it's few and far between.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Its not just aftermarket either. Often with older models, OEMs just rebadge aftermarket parts rather than manufacture older parts themselves. Basically with anything more than a few years old you are screwed with quality.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor