What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Tore into it, today starts with a trip to Harbor Freight. 2 evenings ago we did a dry run on the entryway floor. It sucked. There's a jillion staples with a death grip holding the 1/4" subfloor to the real subfloor. We fought with the majority with a screwdriver and diagonal pliers. After we were pretty much done I was off to YouTube in search of a better way. There were a number of solutions that were meh or didn't work at all, but this one ended up being a winner.

PXL_20231216_041841201.MP.jpg

Start them with this puppy and finish with fencing pliers.

PXL_20231216_175257093.MP.jpg

So easy a 6 year old can do it. She ran circles around mom doing it the old way. Next I went for the carpet, this was actually really easy. Still a bit of a time suck, but not an *ss kicker like those staples.

PXL_20231216_185508780.MP.jpg

This would make excellent workshop carpet. It's still good house carpet, just 1 stain in the high traffic area.

PXL_20231216_202716742.MP.jpg

Speaking of high traffic area, check out all this dirt that made its way through the carpet and padding right down to the subfloor. And we take our shoes off inside the house.

PXL_20231216_211525932.MP.jpg

Feels less homey now. Next step was the kitchen, there was a nice surprise waiting for us in there.

PXL_20231217_043116106.MP.jpg

Back in 2017 our old water heater took a dump and flooded the kitchen. 1 and done, but apparently still enough to do this. Most of it got sucked up by the shop vac, so should clean up with some bleach. And the floor doesn't have any rot or damage. Nice little scare. I also noticed that there's grout between the panels?

PXL_20231216_233827808.MP.jpg

I wonder what that's all about? Last but not least, Merry Christmas!

PXL_20231217_042558954.MP.jpg

Too much of a pain to move it around back and forth without wheels so I screwed it to a Harbor Freight dolly. It's seen better days, but it'll hold a tree just fine.

Reactions: 6 users
Been a little bit, I've been busy. Stepped off of the internet on quite a few things to get stuff done, life priorities and taking care of business.

My Non-G project that I had for the last year and a half was finishing up an AS Degree in Electronics I have been working on. This was my last semester, the 15th was the last day and official grades dropped. Got the Degree so that will show up in the mail when they process it, hang that one on the fridge..😎 Used my GI Bill for it and still have a couple months left, if you have that benefit USE IT. I have a Bachelor Degree and now an Associate done on it. Yes it all takes work and time in, it's not a hand out, you will EARN it. It's done though, and with that I start a new position at work tomorrow that is a promotion for me. Been working with my boss on it and the deal was to get that Degree done so they could move me up. Looking forward to it. Never stop kicking @ss, always have a goal and make it happen. Move up every day. 👍

Been out when I can hanging out with the local guys, last time we were out to lunch one of the guys took his gasser out, nice looking car.

20231119_104248.jpg

20231119_114516.jpg

That fall weather is in full effect, can still drive some cars.

20231215_161302.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Been a little bit, I've been busy. Stepped off of the internet on quite a few things to get stuff done, life priorities and taking care of business.

My Non-G project that I had for the last year and a half was finishing up an AS Degree in Electronics I have been working on. This was my last semester, the 15th was the last day and official grades dropped. Got the Degree so that will show up in the mail when they process it, hang that one on the fridge..😎 Used my GI Bill for it and still have a couple months left, if you have that benefit USE IT. I have a Bachelor Degree and now an Associate done on it. Yes it all takes work and time in, it's not a hand out, you will EARN it. It's done though, and with that I start a new position at work tomorrow that is a promotion for me. Been working with my boss on it and the deal was to get that Degree done so they could move me up. Looking forward to it. Never stop kicking @ss, always have a goal and make it happen. Move up every day. 👍

Been out when I can hanging out with the local guys, last time we were out to lunch one of the guys took his gasser out, nice looking car.

View attachment 232458

View attachment 232459

That fall weather is in full effect, can still drive some cars.

View attachment 232460

Good job. Now you can start on your Masters!

Reactions: 1 user
Funny you say that because I've been looking into it. Once I run out of the Post 9/11 GI Bill I have 48 Months of Chapter 31 Voc Rehab that I am eligible for as a Disabled Veteran. I've been ontop of all the stuff that we can get. Just a matter of what I want to get a Masters in..🤔

Last edited:
Today stepped out into the garage, saw the TA and thought about doing some cleaning in her, but turned around and went back into the house. Just not feeling it right now.

Attachments

• 20231210_101945.jpg
    20231210_101945.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 35
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Tore into it, today starts with a trip to Harbor Freight. 2 evenings ago we did a dry run on the entryway floor. It sucked. There's a jillion staples with a death grip holding the 1/4" subfloor to the real subfloor. We fought with the majority with a screwdriver and diagonal pliers. After we were pretty much done I was off to YouTube in search of a better way. There were a number of solutions that were meh or didn't work at all, but this one ended up being a winner.

So easy a 6 year old can do it. She ran circles around mom doing it the old way. Next I went for the carpet, this was actually really easy. Still a bit of a time suck, but not an *ss kicker like those staples.

This would make excellent workshop carpet. It's still good house carpet, just 1 stain in the high traffic area.

View attachment 232452

Speaking of high traffic area, check out all this dirt that made its way through the carpet and padding right down to the subfloor. And we take our shoes off inside the house.

View attachment 232454
I notice you have floor registers and your return air vent is also at floor level. IIRC, you live in Colorado and that looks like a modern home.
1) do they normally build a house with floor registers (for heating, obviously) in cold climates?
2) I would have thought that having a return vent at floor height would just suck the heat right out as it came in thru the floor registers?
3) what kind of underlayment do you plan to install to have warm floors for the planking you are installing?

just finished mine and walked the stage 2 days ago. told the Univ. President during the picture/handshake it had been 33 years since the Bachelors, he said "oh good, just a Doctorate left then!", and I was seriously thinking of responding with "are you out of your mind?" or "not a chance in hell!" but held my tongue and moved on.
now to start looking for that mega-bucks job ..... :unsure:

View attachment 232451

View attachment 232450

View attachment 232453

View attachment 232452

View attachment 232454

Feels less homey now. Next step was the kitchen, there was a nice surprise waiting for us in there.

View attachment 232455

Back in 2017 our old water heater took a dump and flooded the kitchen. 1 and done, but apparently still enough to do this. Most of it got sucked up by the shop vac, so should clean up with some bleach. And the floor doesn't have any rot or damage. Nice little scare. I also noticed that there's grout between the panels?

View attachment 232456

I wonder what that's all about? Last but not least, Merry Christmas!

View attachment 232457

Too much of a pain to move it around back and forth without wheels so I screwed it to a Harbor Freight dolly. It's seen better days, but it'll hold a tree just fine.
Brings back PTSD....... err.... memories.

My first time around was screwdriver with a bent tip, almost like your paint can opener followed by plyers. Fast forward 6 years, and, mini prybars also worked well for me on plywood.

Then, go another 7 years and I stepped up to varsity league pulling those and small nails out of concrete. That one sucked, became hammer and short bar. Any that snapped was an angle grinder if it mattered and couldn't be hammered down for the stone.

Ugh. Never again.

just finished mine and walked the stage 2 days ago. told the Univ. President during the picture/handshake it had been 33 years since the Bachelors, he said "oh good, just a Doctorate left then!", and I was seriously thinking of responding with "are you out of your mind?" or "not a chance in hell!" but held my tongue and moved on.
now to start looking for that mega-bucks job ..... :unsure:
Terminal degrees aren't all they're cracked up to be. Wish I hadn't gotten mine.

That is why I have a technical Bachelor Degree and now this technical AS Degree, both highly versatile in many fields. Then again that's all on the career field you go into as well as what you want to get for that college piece of paper that says what you know. I'll be moving into a specialized tech position we have that makes more than the engineers, still on hourly too. I'll take it. :)

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor