What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
every time I see Copper Nick's pictures of his Indian project with pictures taken in his dark workshop, this video clip runs thru my mind of another dark warehouse and a build project.....

Sorry, pilgrim, that's not my dark workshop, that's my basement. The dark is an optical illusion based on the flash for the camera not working. Camera sensor seemed to think the amount of ambient light was enough. Step away from the drill deck and things get a lot brighter, right now!
As for being in the dark, nothing unusual there, it's a default state of affairs for most of us once we hit adulthood. It's just that for a select few, adulthood can be avoided and we get to keep our sense of humor and the cash in our wallets. For the majority, no sense of humor and no money is just a sign that they're married.

Nick

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I ohm'd out the water inlet valve, value stayed at 1, so i guess it'd bad. There is frost on the wall of the crawlspace by where the lines go up to the little cubby where the taps are in the wall on the ground floor, but they aren't frosty or cold to the touch, it's fairly warm down there. A can of pop out the fridge would be way colder than the lines are. But wind chill has been in the negative 40s to negative 20s this week, so maybe it is ice.
Who knows.
Side note, i should be able to have water come out of the taps on the wall correct? The machine doesn't pump water up to itself, just out as it drains, yes?
Appliances are completely alien to me.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I ohm'd out the water inlet valve, value stayed at 1, so i guess it'd bad. There is frost on the wall of the crawlspace by where the lines go up to the little cubby where the taps are in the wall on the ground floor, but they aren't frosty or cold to the touch, it's fairly warm down there. A can of pop out the fridge would be way colder than the lines are. But wind chill has been in the negative 40s to negative 20s this week, so maybe it is ice.
Who knows.
Side note, i should be able to have water come out of the taps on the wall correct? The machine doesn't pump water up to itself, just out as it drains, yes?
Appliances are completely alien to me.

If it ends up being froze, they sell a heat tape (looks more like wire) that you can wrap around the pipe.

If it did indeed freeze, keep an eye out when you get it thawed out and watch for leaks.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yup both hot and cold feed the machine from the pressure off the street. Pop one of and see if it's feeding. Drain is from the pump in the machine.
Neither are feeding anything. I guess they must be frozen.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If it's on an exterior wall in a garage, most of the time they will freeze up.
Exterior wall on unheated add on porch with open entry into kitchen. It's about 15 degrees cooler on average than the rest of the house. I sent crawled through the crawlspace and put hands on the clear plastic lines. They weren't that Cold. As said for comparison, my fridge is colder.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
One of the main reasons for the shift to PEX tubing for plumbing being done in new construction. The underground feed is still going to be heavy wall rigid copper pipe. I can remember my Ma leaving the cold water tap on the downstairs sink open just enough to drip during the winters. The basement was not heated back then and the theory was that the movement of the water, however slow and minimal, would still be enough to keep it from freezing.

As for that heating wrap, it something to be cautious of when using. It used to be suggested for use in summer cottages and the lakeside fish shack or two but there have been fires that were traced to leaving the stuff plugged in and not checked for issues over a prolonged time. The other thing for the rurals was rodent invasion; They'd chew on the wrap and short it out, electrocuting themselves in the process but leaving the damaged wires hanging there while still active.

There is a static or inactive form of insulation, looks like pool noodles that can be slipped over the pipe; it is split linearly for that purpose.

Nick

• Agree

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Sorry, pilgrim, that's not my dark workshop, that's my basement. The dark is an optical illusion based on the flash for the camera not working. Camera sensor seemed to think the amount of ambient light was enough. Step away from the drill deck and things get a lot brighter, right now!
As for being in the dark, nothing unusual there, it's a default state of affairs for most of us once we hit adulthood. It's just that for a select few, adulthood can be avoided and we get to keep our sense of humor and the cash in our wallets. For the majority, no sense of humor and no money is just a sign that they're married.

Nick
darn! so no....?

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Back a lot more years than I care to remember, I was able to attend a private showing of that movie in its entirety. Burt Munro was an ingenious person who probably had his picture right beside the definition of thinking outside the box. Segment that I liked the best was when one of the high zoot speed contenders wandered into his room and found him shaving the tread off some old bike tires to make his own "slicks" He had, of course, scored the candidates for nothing as they had been dumped out back of the nearest bike dealer as discards when someone came in for new tread. The look on the visitor's face was priceless. Shoestring didn't begin to describe the size of Burt's non-existent budget. One thing that did commend itself to me was how vastly different the thought and thinking processes of the american competitors were when compared to how Burt dealt with his problems and issues. No snark or snideness intended here but the Americans solution for the problems they encountered seemed to typically involve the use of money. Burt, by contrast, couldn't use what he didn't have so he pretty much adopted the "Run whatcha Brung" philosophy and carried on from there.

The movie is very under rated and is worth watching more than once, or twice or ??. In its own way it is kind of like Casablanca where each time you watch it, sometime different seems to catch your attention where it hadn't before.

Nick

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor