What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Built a couple watches based off a Timex built in late 60's/early 70's my brother had when we were young. This was a small quartz, boy size watch at 31mm, plastic case and rubber bracelet.

This is the original:

I commissioned 4 dials to be built (my brother, 2 other buddies, and I) and tried to have the seconds hand/disc recreated but maker couldn't make the clear disc like original happen so traditional style seconds hand were made. Sourced an automatic Seiko movement, hands, and Seiko fitment case/bracelet from ebay and would up with this as my build.

One of my buddies sourced his own setup and his is a little different.

hmmmm, what about a teeter-totter watch?

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Once they get good and cupped from the worn out front end and never being rotated.
I still remember standing at the counter of a junkyard 30 yrs ago on a rural highway and a skyhigh jacked Toyota drives by, making enough of that noise where we had to stop talking for a few seconds. all the owner said after was "he'll be back in a few months, and every few months after that, buying a new driveshaft/differential" :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Finished off the fabrication portion of the rehab of the Indian's front fender. Dropped the front end off the chassis in order to remove the main forks to be taken out to the welding deck. The front/rear fender mounting braces need their own specific mounting bracket which I have clamped into place and about ready to be welded up. Still some minor tweaking and truing left but that can be done on the table. I'll be glad when this portion of the project is done as it will be a major milestone in converting all the parts back into a functional ride.

I did get my Steck Panel splitter in and it seems to want to turn one panel into two but, my portable vise still will not close up and remain tight. may now have to go back into the ratchet box and see if the mechanism is cycling correctly. If not possibility of adjusting it or not. Can't replace it with a new one of that make/model; no stock anywhere. Can find the same tool under a different manufacturer but the $$$$$$ ain't in my wallet right now. Tax time coming up.

Nick

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Built a couple watches based off a Timex built in late 60's/early 70's my brother had when we were young. This was a small quartz, boy size watch at 31mm, plastic case and rubber bracelet.

This is the original:

I commissioned 4 dials to be built (my brother, 2 other buddies, and I) and tried to have the seconds hand/disc recreated but maker couldn't make the clear disc like original happen so traditional style seconds hand were made. Sourced an automatic Seiko movement, hands, and Seiko fitment case/bracelet from ebay and would up with this as my build.

One of my buddies sourced his own setup and his is a little different.

Thanks, thats all I need now a custom watch addiction......
angry better call saul GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
****ing washing Machine decided to stop taking in and dispensing water, and at the same time it's drain pipe location in the wall seems plugged solid for some reason. Worked perfectly fine the last time we used it.

• Sad

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
****ing washing Machine decided to stop taking in and dispensing water, and at the same time it's drain pipe location in the wall seems plugged solid for some reason. Worked perfectly fine the last time we used it.
Is it all frozen? Not sure where you're at..

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Maybe it consumed a sock and got a case of cotton indigestion. The absence of water coming and going is likely going to be the pump having a mechanical breakdown. Went through all of that with the last washer; it now sits down by the shop backyard door, awaiting dissection so that I can salvage the new transmission and send the corpse to the scrap yard,

Moving on.

DSCN3945.JPG

DSCN3950.JPG

So these are the two new lower front fender mounting tabs, c/w their studs, that I just welded into place on the main legs of my 47 Indian Chief. Some of the welds have already been kissed by my Dremel, the rest await their turn. The ends still have to be radiused; changed from straight ends to curved ones. When checking for straightness and position, flat edges are easier to work with for the tape measure.

DSCN3954.JPG

Just a detail shot of how the fender brace lands and interacts with the new mounting bracket. Like I noted above, it still needs to get its finished shape but this gives a better idea of what needs to be fed to either the 4.5 or the Dremel. Right now the Dremel is the crowd favorite because it can get into tighter places than my DeWalt. The only drawback to my Dremel is that they seem to come with a built in suicide protocol that encourages them to drop dead from time to time. They are supposedly rebuildable but the cost for parts just about adds up to a new one; and I am no watch maker; that was my Dad.

DSCN3952.JPG

DSCN3953.JPG

And finally a pair of profile shots of how the fender and the front legs interact, as seen from the front of the bike. For those who have been keeping track (WHAT?? Aintcha got nuttin' better to do?) This is the fender that I have been practicing my body and fender beating skills on. Do be aware that this is old metal geting more old metal attached to it. The 47 metal was actually in better shape than the graft that I added to it. The big catch from the get-go was that the old metal was thicker by .010 than the thickest piece that I could lay immediate hands on. To obtain new .060 sheet metal I would have had to have purchased a complete sheet, assuming availability and paid in blood for it. What I have here will work and by the time I do an epoxy sealer coat,then a skim coat of filler and get it all sanded down and shaped to what I want, it will look like it should and all the sins will be hidden until future eyes get nosey.

The Monte has kind of become a victim of the cold. I am back to waiting until the weather warms up which, around here, usually means snow. I know I mentioned that my portable floor vise had malfunctioned and that the fix was proving difficult to achieve. Getting a new one may prove to be more economical in the long run but then there is the minor matter of being able to pay for it. (I can hear the choir warming up in the background)

Nick

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Maybe it consumed a sock and got a case of cotton indigestion. The absence of water coming and going is likely going to be the pump having a mechanical breakdown. Went through all of that with the last washer; it now sits down by the shop backyard door, awaiting dissection so that I can salvage the new transmission and send the corpse to the scrap yard,

Moving on.

View attachment 233693

View attachment 233694

So these are the two new lower front fender mounting tabs, c/w their studs, that I just welded into place on the main legs of my 47 Indian Chief. Some of the welds have already been kissed by my Dremel, the rest await their turn. The ends still have to be radiused; changed from straight ends to curved ones. When checking for straightness and position, flat edges are easier to work with for the tape measure.

View attachment 233695

Just a detail shot of how the fender brace lands and interacts with the new mounting bracket. Like I noted above, it still needs to get its finished shape but this gives a better idea of what needs to be fed to either the 4.5 or the Dremel. Right now the Dremel is the crowd favorite because it can get into tighter places than my DeWalt. The only drawback to my Dremel is that they seem to come with a built in suicide protocol that encourages them to drop dead from time to time. They are supposedly rebuildable but the cost for parts just about adds up to a new one; and I am no watch maker; that was my Dad.

View attachment 233696

View attachment 233697

And finally a pair of profile shots of how the fender and the front legs interact, as seen from the front of the bike. For those who have been keeping track (WHAT?? Aintcha got nuttin' better to do?) This is the fender that I have been practicing my body and fender beating skills on. Do be aware that this is old metal geting more old metal attached to it. The 47 metal was actually in better shape than the graft that I added to it. The big catch from the get-go was that the old metal was thicker by .010 than the thickest piece that I could lay immediate hands on. To obtain new .060 sheet metal I would have had to have purchased a complete sheet, assuming availability and paid in blood for it. What I have here will work and by the time I do an epoxy sealer coat,then a skim coat of filler and get it all sanded down and shaped to what I want, it will look like it should and all the sins will be hidden until future eyes get nosey.

The Monte has kind of become a victim of the cold. I am back to waiting until the weather warms up which, around here, usually means snow. I know I mentioned that my portable floor vise had malfunctioned and that the fix was proving difficult to achieve. Getting a new one may prove to be more economical in the long run but then there is the minor matter of being able to pay for it. (I can hear the choir warming up in the background)

Nick
every time I see Copper Nick's pictures of his Indian project with pictures taken in his dark workshop, this video clip runs thru my mind of another dark warehouse and a build project.....

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor