What did you do to your non-G body project today

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
On today's installment of why do I get so much road feel in my steering wheel.

I replaced the upper control arms on the Rainier. I did ball joints and lower arms last summer and struts and tie rods maybe 3 years ago. Started getting a little steering wheel vibration and a ton of clunking on the wheel over rough roads.

I think it's better? The old bushings weren't in terrible shape but they were a bit soft. All that's left that's factory is the rack. These arms were only $40 so not a tough decision.

IMG_20210723_180720.jpg

IMG_20210723_171744.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Worked some more on my Pinto. I sprayed the degreaser and let things soak while I ran a couple of errands. I hooked up the pressure washer when I got back and was able to get things cleaner than I left them last weekend. After finishing that, I removed the old master cylinder and installed a brand new one.
20210724_164436.jpg

Later, I removed the rear wheels and brake drums, sprayed PB Blaster on the back of the backing plates around the brake lines and wheel cylinder bolts. Tomorrow, the goal is to replace the wheel cylinders and brake shoes. Drums look good, so I will not be replacing them. Both are dirty, but they are smooth with no scars.
Left drum.
20210724_164457.jpg

Right drum.
20210724_164609.jpg

After doing the rear brakes, I may raise the front and PB Blaster the bolts and hardware for the front disks and pads, to be ready for next weekend. I have the calipers and pads, plus a new hardware kit waiting in the garage on the workbench.

Reactions: 2 users

Cauterize

Greasemonkey
Feb 9, 2019
Looking forward to it
Went to pull the S10 out and snag some pictures for you this afternoon. No voltage at the ignition switch. I'll see if I can diagnose and repair it tomorrow and snap some shots. I should ask the wife can dig up some photos from when we bought it. It was a SPL truck and had 4 12's ported into the Cab.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
The before and after shots of those Rainier upper control arms don't look much different except for the pretty black paint and all that shininess. You would think that they would offer a more solid and stronger version of that part instead of something that looks more or less like a piece of flat plate that got introduced to a 20 Tonne press. Now I have to wonder how long those parts will be available once that model ceases production? The shape and profile of the stocker almost begs for a tubular version as a replacement

Nick

CopperNick

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Not sure if this would be the same with the earlier S-!0's but my last generation 03 S-10 does not like to sit for any prolonged period of time without having a trickle charger on the battery. There are too many items in the electrical system that demand their daily fix of juice to keep them happy.

Nick

Supercharged111

Royal Smart Person
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I have a C5Z06 that I play with, has a few mods. Took it out earlier. I've taken it to the fun road too.. :cool:

View attachment 179930

View attachment 179931

That looks to be LeMans blue? If so, they didn't make that many and you have the wrong wheels. :p

20180317_113721.jpg

I got a bunch done on the flipper dually (1998 Chevy crew cab dually 4x4 454), it's going up for sale tomorrow. It's clean, I fixed the headache rack, cleaned the bed, re-rattle can coated the bed sides, repainted the toolbox, cleaned the bolted down mat, cleaned up the last of the sketch wiring, got the brake controller wired back up, found/fixed my AC leak (and charged), legitimized my VSS wiring, failed to find a better grill so JB Welded mine, swapped the radio for one that works, and a bunch of other stuff that I've already forgotten. Who wants it? Clear coat on the hood and roof are roached, but it's a clean solid rust free truck that goes straight, smells clean, is quiet, and not used up.

IMG_20200731_184018.jpg

Here it was getting a fuel pump. I have no decent full truck pics of it.

Reactions: 3 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
On the Pinto:
In the AM, I removed/replaced the rear wheel cylinders, and brake shoes.
Drums are still good, no change there.
Hardware kit not needed, seems I did that sometime before it quit running.
In the PM, I removed/replaced the front calipers and both flex hoses. Again, it seems that I did a brake job shortly before it quit running. The front rotor and pads were almost new, so I will keep the brand new pads for next time.
Will need to bleed the system after I change out the rear flex hose.

mclellan83

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Went to pull the S10 out and snag some pictures for you this afternoon. No voltage at the ignition switch. I'll see if I can diagnose and repair it tomorrow and snap some shots. I should ask the wife can dig up some photos from when we bought it. It was a SPL truck and had 4 12's ported into the Cab.
Sorry to hear, but sounds like a cool truck. There was an old build like that at the Gbody Classic.

But speaking of no g body stuff, I took the GTO everywhere this weekend. Went to a different car show Friday night, took it to the G Body Classic, and then to the Vintage Grand Prix yesterday.

Saw this Friday night and had a chuckle
20210723_200944.jpg

Then can you believe they treated me like a peasant at the G Body Classic making me park with the regular cars
will ferrell crying GIF

20210724_110700.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The before and after shots of those Rainier upper control arms don't look much different except for the pretty black paint and all that shininess. You would think that they would offer a more solid and stronger version of that part instead of something that looks more or less like a piece of flat plate that got introduced to a 20 Tonne press. Now I have to wonder how long those parts will be available once that model ceases production? The shape and profile of the stocker almost begs for a tubular version as a replacement

Nick

Yeah they are pretty light but the GMT900 stuff looks small too.

Really all I needed to change was the bushings but the arms were so cheap it wasn't worth pulling the press out and cruse with trying to get rusty bushing sleeves out.

They actually do make tubular uppers for TBSS (same platform) relatively cheap.

Built6spdMCSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 15, 2012
That looks to be LeMans blue? If so, they didn't make that many and you have the wrong wheels. :p

View attachment 180316
I like my gunmetal gray, not a chrome person.. haha

Factory blue on the 2002 and 2003 Z06 is Electron Blue Metallic, and like you said, it's the least ordered color.

G-Body Performance Upgrades

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

ContactAdmin@GBodyForum.comfor info on becoming a sponsor