20230523_084609_Burst01.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Rehung the caliper, did some body work on my short term chain guard substitute, and shot it in semi-gloss that roughly matches its factory color. My nice bright chrome original to the bike chain guard may have to be retired due to major cracking under one of the support braces. Blame vibration, pot holes, and rude excuses for pavement, plus 55+ years of use for it's present condition. The cracks can be V grooved using my Dremel Tool and a very thin cutting wheel but the chrome is an issue when doing the welds/repairs and stripping it from the locations in question is problematic.
I may elect to get my stand in chromed but will have to do some research to see if my chromer is still in business and what the Bite would be to get the work done.

Ordered a Dormer coolant overflow tank from the yard and will be trying to pick that up tomorrow. Called him this AM to get price and availability; price was good so pulled the trigger to place the order. Get a call back just before lunch and discover that he actually has them in stock!!! Only thing complicating matters is the next call was from my shift supervisor to advise me that the F*glies have not been returned from the dealer ordered warranty work so I now have to pick up a fleet vehicle from the South mechanics facility. Which means I have to park in their compound, ferry the truck to our site, work the shift, and then drop it back at South, then come all the way back cross town to get to the parts yard and pick up my tank. Thinking that lunch might be a bit shorter tomorrow than normal.

What? Pictures???? yeah, right, whenev-ur....................

Nick

Reactions: 2 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Rehung the caliper, did some body work on my short term chain guard substitute, and shot it in semi-gloss that roughly matches its factory color. My nice bright chrome original to the bike chain guard may have to be retired due to major cracking under one of the support braces. Blame vibration, pot holes, and rude excuses for pavement, plus 55+ years of use for it's present condition. The cracks can be V grooved using my Dremel Tool and a very thin cutting wheel but the chrome is an issue when doing the welds/repairs and stripping it from the locations in question is problematic.
I may elect to get my stand in chromed but will have to do some research to see if my chromer is still in business and what the Bite would be to get the work done.

Ordered a Dormer coolant overflow tank from the yard and will be trying to pick that up tomorrow. Called him this AM to get price and availability; price was good so pulled the trigger to place the order. Get a call back just before lunch and discover that he actually has them in stock!!! Only thing complicating matters is the next call was from my shift supervisor to advise me that the F*glies have not been returned from the dealer ordered warranty work so I now have to pick up a fleet vehicle from the South mechanics facility. Which means I have to park in their compound, ferry the truck to our site, work the shift, and then drop it back at South, then come all the way back cross town to get to the parts yard and pick up my tank. Thinking that lunch might be a bit shorter tomorrow than normal.

What? Pictures???? yeah, right, whenev-ur....................

Nick
Possibly powder coating instead of chrome? One may be easier done than the other.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Powder would be easier and arguably cheaper BUT.....................I don't have the equipment on site to do it personally and to my knowledge there is no one local who is doing it. This city is a blue collar burg with delusions of pretensiousness. Tranlated out of Geek-speak, the industries are leaving or dying off and nothing else considers the joint interesting enough to put down roots here. The prov/state won't spend a penny locally unless they can earn a dollar in interest and they think we are good for is to be the site for Nuke waste and a super-sized open pit mine. Makes it real difficult for folks like me to pay their bills, nevermind consider acquiring a bauble or trinket from time to time.

Chrome wouldn't be on the table until the fall. That way it can go under the tree as a present from me to me.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Vacuumed and shampooed my 1500 today, not bad for a truck just north of 300,000 miles.

PXL_20230527_013036182.MP.jpg

Next I tackled a problem that's plagued me for years. 10 to be exact: 4lo functionality. This truck doesn't really need 4lo, but it has it and thus I want it to function. The new to me plow truck will also need to retain 4lo, and I could keep that with the stock PCM but I'd never be able to keep the TCC locked at 0% throttle position, so I needed to get the 411 working with 4lo. I figured I'd start over with a custom operating system, cal flash in a 6.0/4L80 truck, then segment swap over my 350 stuff. Halfway through baking that concoction I got another bright idea: just drag over the system segment from that same truck, swap in my values, and do a calibration only flash. Bam! I now have a functioning 4lo and a speedo that displays properly. I've gotten away with a functional 4lo in this truck this far because the 4L80 I swapped in started life as a 2wd unit which means the trans itself has 2 VSSs, but that won't cut it on my dually or the plow truck. With this fix, I can get full 4lo functionality on the dually and now I'm free to 411 swap the plow truck as well since it won't lose 4lo shifting. One of those things, why oh why didn't I figure this out eons ago?

• Friendly
Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Not bad, it'll run that with the base air mass tables setup right. Crank sensor on that engine?

The 411 came in the Express vans all set up for a 350, same OS as an F-body so ready to rock a custom OS for boost too. I got mine set up to keep TCC locked over 45mph, set for boost, and now cracked the 4lo code on EFILive. HPT has the 4lo tables already. I can also choose 4x or 24x with a single mouse click, both used a 1x cam sensor. Dually has the same PCM, different OS though. Plow truck and Camaro will also get this PCM. I added the 4x sensor and matching timing cover last Spring, just need to crimp the pins to the 93 harness to accept the 411. So the old stuff gets all the tunability of the LS stuff, no monkeying around.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
98 with 350/4L80 and an LS1B 411 P01 PCM. Tune bits stolen from a 6.0/4L80 4x4 truck.
Curious.... What were the benefits of the LS based PCM & 6.0 spec tune? I wouldn't mind tweaking my '99obs 350/4l80e for improvement until it gets the 6.0 transplant.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor