What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Curious.... What were the benefits of the LS based PCM & 6.0 spec tune? I wouldn't mind tweaking my '99obs 350/4l80e for improvement until it gets the 6.0 transplant.

The only point of the 6.0 tune was that it had the 4lo stuff populated. When starting with a van tune that stuff is zeroed out and, for EFILive, isn't unlocked to be able to unzero it out. It's just buried in the code so you need something that has what you want to make it work. The 6.0 engine segment wouldn't have worked as the firing order is different, throttle by wire, 24x, etc. I was gonna swap over the engine, trans, and other segments into the 6.0 tune when the light bulb went on in my head and instead I just copied the system segment from the 6.0 over to my tune. The benefits of the LS style PCM are mostly tune based as there is a lot more unlocked in these style PCMs. They also have a lot more resolution and the engine flat out runs smoother even with the stock 350 tune. There are custom operating systems available as well that allow you to run boost or even alpha-N if you have ITBs, valet mode, 2 step. Some folks have unlocked some items to keep the TCC locked when you lift. Again, HPT has this unlocked but EFI does not.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Summarily, lost two shifts this week due to the Fuglies being recalled by the Mfgr for factory mandated repairs and warranty work. Supposed to be a day for each; the first took 4, the second, 2. Ended up with the super having to task fleet for a short term replacement which turned out to be a 3/4 ton 4x4 that had all the get up and go of a bowl of jello. Mind you, once it hit third and got some impetus going, it moved along fairly smartly; just nothing but blah from a light or stop sign. Fortunately it was only with us for a day. WEnt in early to get it for the Friday, got over to the shop, and my partner rolls in with the news that Fugly #2 is ready. HE got the good word while trying to have a shower before supper the night before!!!

And what has all this got to do with ???? Well, Wednesday I had gone ahead and tore down the existing overflow system on my Non G-Body G-10 to get the site ready for the new tank. Thursday, about one pothole short of needing the services of a physiotherapist, I had just enough energy left to take a short section of 1 inch flat stock and cut it up into a bunch of strips of various lengths, along with a couple of other bits. Friday, after work, I managed to get back into the shop and barked up the welder to turn all those straps into a mounting tray for the overflow tank. This morning, I eschewed breakfast in favor of drilling the tray so that the tank could be bolted to it and the whole thing went out to the van for a test fit. A ittle trimming to gain some wiggle room, plus a pair of Ell fingers added to the top bar to lie over the top panel and get bolted to it and i had a working tray all ready to use. Last thing before breakfast/lunch/brunch/food/??? was to take it outside and give it a couple of coats of semi-gloss black. Noon and it was already hot enough on the quarter deck for paint to dry quite readily. Left it to dry and went to eat.

Came back about an hour or two later and took the now dry tray back into the shop and dropped it into position. Added the appropriate bolts and nuts and ran the feed hose over to the rad. Done deal. Still have to remount the Accumulator tank but that has to wait until I can score the right capscrews. I hate mismatched hardware. Oh, yeah, Pictures?

Nope, nary a one. Got into one of those grooves where things just kept fitting together and not fighting me so blew off the whole record it for posterity drill and kept on a-working.

Last item on that list was to rehang the circuit breaker and relay for the horns. They had to get moved along with one of the ATF cooler lines to gain some of the vertical space that I needed. The ATF line has to be replumbed which is going to need some thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
New tire for the Vstrom.

20230526_025319.jpg
20230526_130350.png

Peg relocation kit and replacement mirrors are on the shopping list as well.

Reactions: 4 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Acquired a new friend at a car show. He has a 68 Firebird 400 convertible. Lives two streets down. Beautiful car but it does have a bunch of detailing to be done. So he pulled out a bunch of brackets, shields and grills that we blasted today and blackened and painted. He went overboard and took a lot out. So we had a long day, but it is going to look good with black instead of overspray parts/bolts.

Reactions: 3 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Tore down and reassembled a four post lift. A buddy of mine bought it and we temporarily set it back up in his garage until it gets moved again down the road to his dad’s shop later this summer. Couldn’t pass it up for the price, only four years old and perfect slightly used condition.

IMG_4127.jpeg IMG_4126.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Attempting to stop the windshield leak for $11
IMG_20230528_203620663.jpg

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Attempting to stop the windshield leak for $11
View attachment 221615

That's a good way to get rotted floorboards in a GMT400.

PXL_20230330_175840037.MP.jpg
PXL_20230409_220145828.MP.jpg

I'll be getting a new windshield installed in this truck instead of F'ing around. Here's the PO's halfassed attempt that accomplished nothing.

PXL_20230504_225041164.MP.jpg
PXL_20230504_225028952.MP.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
My uncle is the executor of my grandfather's estate and he informed me that my grandfather left his car to me. I wasn't expecting to receive anything so I was very humbled by receiving it. It's a 2006 with 113k miles and doesn't need a lot, but there are some minor maintenance items it is going to need. I spent yesterday and today giving it a thorough wash, clay and wax and I vacuumed and extracted the interior. It really wasn't that bad but it does look better cleaned up.
20230529_111620.jpg
20230528_184412.jpg

Reactions: 12 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor