What do I need to swap SBC 350 into my 88 307 car...

Status
Not open for further replies.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
I realize an olds 350 or 455 will work, but I can't find one around here. I do however have a chevy 350 block that I got for $50. I know I can keep my trans, and I'll need all new accessory drive, that's fine, but what do I need to do in terms of mounts, headers, fan etc.
I will be building this engine over time outside the car, and once I have all the parts, then it will be swap time. Right now I just need info on the swap.
And no I'm not going to change my mind, so please, don't try to steer me towards the old motors.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I am really glad to see that you are keeping your Cutlass on the road, but of course I am sad to see yet another 350 chevy going under the hood...

Man, I hate those things...

Anyway, you can follow the basic outline for the Buick V6 to sbc swap sticky at the top of the engine swap section. That will cover it all, because the Buick and Olds engines use the same type of setup.

Your 2004r may bolt up because of the universal bolt pattern, but the torque converter is wrong. You need one from either an 82-84 700r4, or a th200c/2004r that had a factory Chevy or Pontiac engine. They are different the way that they bolt to the flexplate and you won't be properly centered on the crank with the torque converter. This slight allowance of freedom causes to the torque converter to wobble just a bit and then eat the front pump seal and sometimes the pump.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
I do like the 307 for what it's worth, I just cannot find another one as cheap as the 350 block was to build untill I'm ready for the swap.
But rest assured, it isn't gonna be junked when the 350 goes in.
Prolly clean it up good n nice and see if I can't find a good home for it.
But as it sits now, it would take too much to get what I want outta it.
I wanted to go with an olds 350 or 455 or an olds motor of some sort, but I just could not find one for what I was willing to pay, then the 350 block came up, and has new bearings and crank for $50.... yeah I need pretty much the rest of the motor, but for $50....

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Where you live, the best place to get an olds engine is from the guys who do demolition derby races. I used to get mine from there.

Also, you can get a whole car off of ebay with the engine you need. You might pay 500 bucks, but you can get it. You just have to look.

The 350 chevy may seem like the easy way out, but its not. The problem with chevy small blocks is the machine work. Most of your garden variety small blocks from the 80's and earlier were just slapped together at the assembly plant in mexico and dropped in. You will have more money in machine work to get the thing together than you can believe. Regardless of what "the people who know chevy v8s" say, Buick olds and Pontiac V8's do not require the same level of machining after they have been used. They were built to much better tolerances when new and wear much better over the long haul.

Good luck, however you do it

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I am not opposed to BOP engines, but I don't have any real use for them either. They take too much effort for my taste--and I've built AMC's! Anyhow, for the parts list, it's the same as going from a V6. Lots and Lots of parts to acquire. Read the stickies to learn how.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
Well I already scored the 350 block, so it's a done deal. And thankfully, it's not a mexican block. Came out of an 81 vette. Only has 2 bolt mains, but I'm not going for huge power anyhow. A nice streetable 300hp with room to turn up the wick is what I'm after. Plus I've already scored a victor series intake for $30.... can't beat that... Plus I may even be able to get vortech heads for free... so in my situation, the SBC is the best route. As for AMCs, I'm a closet AMC guy, I just don't have the money for that yet. I'm still in school for electrical, lol. Sad part is, I'm a ford guy that got into this mess lookin for fox body stangs, found the cutlass for $700, needed a tune-up, and a few rust spots fixed up, and being I have a thing for g-bodies..... I melted.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I say your just fine goin with a sbc. Never heard of such a thing as extra machine work, it either needs it or it don't. I've built three 400's in the last couple years without any of them seeing any machine work other than a hone. You might want to keep looking for another intake if your goal would be to run around 300 horse though. That Victor might be a little overkill and actually hurt power down low. Keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor