What do regals compare to today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
As the original owner of my 78 Grand Prix I feel qualified to speak of its quality. It's been reliable, comfortable, and sporty. No major repairs. For what it lacks in Japanese build quality, it makes up more than enough in styling. Before anybody gets any ideas that Bu's or Cutlasses, or whatever were the king of G luxury, let me remind you ONLY the Grand Prix offered as an option genuine wire wheels and genuine leather bucket seats.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
jonnyslick said:
^ True ... which is why we live in a land of complete crap-boxes.

Could be worse. I just got back from Japan and 90% of the cars on the road were like this.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Geesie said:
jonnyslick said:
^ True ... which is why we live in a land of complete crap-boxes.

Could be worse. I just got back from Japan and 90% of the cars on the road were like this.

Is that new? :D My 1990 Honda Civic has the exact same wheels - shows you how they cut costs

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
I think gm and ford should honestly be making cars like that. Cheap, reliable, and simple. Even scions are more complicated than that. Think about how much it would actually cost GM to make that vehicle? maybe 2-3000 a peice and sell for 8000-9000. Ultra cheap, fuel efficient and could be made roomy.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Max speed of 50MPH and may tip over going around curves due to the roomy disproportionate roofline. The newest of these puts out about 50hp.
Japanese and European microcars aren't made for American roadways. Nor are most of them compliant with US safety regulations.
I think the Chevy Spark/Beat is the smallest that an American car can get.

deanz406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2007
Latrobe,Pa
regal compare

:evil: I can see now why GM is ready to go down the tubes. I have bought, and owned GM mid sizes for 40+ yrs--all 2Dr. coupes. Today-- I think the only 2 dr u can buy is a P.O.S Corvette. I think all the Detroit "NEW BREED" design engineers wanted the "Euro Look"--and copied every Euro & j* design, and made the UGLY JUNK we see every day. It used to be, you could identify an AMERICAN car, by it's style, and performance, compared to a foreign P.O.S. Granted the foreign stuff had a lot more reliability, and that's where GM failed to improve on their thinking. The New Nova-Malibu-and the others DON'T deserve those names. Those treasured names are from the 60's & 70's. GM certainly didn't follow their customers wants. Ever since the advent of those Shyt box mini-vans started by Chrysler--all they have jammed down our throats are SUV's & wanna be's. My wife and I had a heck of a time deciding on a new car, when I retired in 2002--and we wanted a 2 dr car. I really liked the new Monte SS, but they didn't offer the Supercharged version until 2004, so that's when we bought our Supercharged Monte SS. Now I understand that the Monte is NO-MORE. I would love to see a new version Malibu, in a 2 dr with an optional SS version, with one of those Supercharged V-6's, or a supercharged 4. I would consider another neat 2 dr sport coupe. I guess it doesn't look like I'm going to get my wish, so my next purchase will be the BMW sport coupe. As far as the so-called New Camaro for 2010--I think it's an ugly TURD, and vaguely resembles the TRUE AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR. GM is going down the tubes--and they have no one else to blame but themselves-- and I'm pissed about any of them getting bailed out--with OUR hard earned tax dollars. That's my $.02--- Dean :twisted:

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
^ I don't know about all of that. You make some good points though.

I mean really the things that are missing from American car lineups are RWD's and 2 doors. Personally I'd like to see some compact and midsize RWD cars in 2 and 4 door.

But, still I think we have it better now than we did in say 1974 - 1990. I mean sure there were G-bodys and Stangs all around ... but just look at some of the stuff we have to day to choose from:

GTO, G8, Charger, Challenger, Mustang, the sick Caddys, even the Sky and Solstice are actually neat cars. Then we have from Japan stuff like the 350/370Z, G35/37, WRX, STi, EVO, RX-8, Roadster. Even cars like the RX-7 and 240sx from the mid 2000's can still be found in great shape for little cash. Then from Europe we get things like the M-series, the AMC line up. Pretty much every technofreak car Germany has ... we get. I mean companies like Hyuandai are coming out with 300 + hp RWD coupes and sedans. Even most luxuary sedans today have a honking V8 in there somewhere. FWD cars like the Focus, Mini, and Civic have great potential for not only a daily driver, but a fun car to take to auto-x and stuff like that. Heck, most trucks and SUV's these days are all over 300 hp too!

That's not even touching on the exotics and semi-exotics (Corvette included in that especially with the ZR1 option).

All I'm trying to say is that IMO there is a LOT of good cars out there capable of some serious HP levels, and serious driving. There are cars out there for dragers, drifters, rally wanna-be's, import guys, American torque-nuts, and even for those of us that like to dabble with the Eurosluts. Honestly I think as a "car guy" this is one of the greatest times ever with the only exception or time that was as close being between 1954 - 1972.

Like it or hate it, every time styling changes some people are going to like it and some people will hate it. I've always LOVED the looks of cars from the '50's and '60's, but I also really like modern european and japanese designs.

Some of the new cars ... I agree I hate. Other, I really think are on the mark (like the new Challenger and Camaro). But one things for certain, at this point we have more choices than ever before. And honestly I can't think of any configuration of car that you can't buy right now (for a price of course). I really think it's a good time for us car guys though.

8)

1985Chevycutlass

Apprentice
Feb 4, 2009
^ I don't know about all of that. You make some good points though.

I mean really the things that are missing from American car lineups are RWD's and 2 doors. Personally I'd like to see some compact and midsize RWD cars in 2 and 4 door.

But, still I think we have it better now than we did in say 1974 - 1990. I mean sure there were G-bodys and Stangs all around ... but just look at some of the stuff we have to day to choose from:

GTO, G8, Charger, Challenger, Mustang, the sick Caddys, even the Sky and Solstice are actually neat cars. Then we have from Japan stuff like the 350/370Z, G35/37, WRX, STi, EVO, RX-8, Roadster. Even cars like the RX-7 and 240sx from the mid 2000's can still be found in great shape for little cash. Then from Europe we get things like the M-series, the AMC line up. Pretty much every technofreak car Germany has ... we get. I mean companies like Hyuandai are coming out with 300 + hp RWD coupes and sedans. Even most luxuary sedans today have a honking V8 in there somewhere. FWD cars like the Focus, Mini, and Civic have great potential for not only a daily driver, but a fun car to take to auto-x and stuff like that. Heck, most trucks and SUV's these days are all over 300 hp too!

That's not even touching on the exotics and semi-exotics (Corvette included in that especially with the ZR1 option).

All I'm trying to say is that IMO there is a LOT of good cars out there capable of some serious HP levels, and serious driving. There are cars out there for dragers, drifters, rally wanna-be's, import guys, American torque-nuts, and even for those of us that like to dabble with the Eurosluts. Honestly I think as a "car guy" this is one of the greatest times ever with the only exception or time that was as close being between 1954 - 1972.

Like it or hate it, every time styling changes some people are going to like it and some people will hate it. I've always LOVED the looks of cars from the '50's and '60's, but I also really like modern european and japanese designs.

Some of the new cars ... I agree I hate. Other, I really think are on the mark (like the new Challenger and Camaro). But one things for certain, at this point we have more choices than ever before. And honestly I can't think of any configuration of car that you can't buy right now (for a price of course). I really think it's a good time for us car guys though.
I couldnt have put it better myself......but I must say OLD SCHOOLS ARE THE BEST!!!!!

rick48195

Apprentice
May 21, 2009
What do Regals compare to today? NOTHING I don't think you'll be finding Honda Accord forums or Buick Lecerne forums now or at anytime in the future. The G-Body was all about RWD and a full frame that pretty much sums it up. You cannot put any real amount of horsepower in a FWD car and I gotta tell you I have never bought a FWD car, they are disposables. I've had my 85 Olds Cutlass Salon (RWD) for nearly 25 years now, tell me do you know anybody who held onto an Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra (FWD) for that long? We can thank Mr. Roger Smith for ruining GM and the cars that they now make (no RWD, no frame, unibody construction) he was at the forefront of that bonehead move.

jk383400

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 3, 2009
hujass said:
I can't even remember how many people I knew back in the 80s that drove a G-body. At least 50 people, maybe more. Those cars were everywhere back then.

The Cutlass in the Mid 80's was the best seller for GM !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor