What do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
As of tomorrow I'm unemployed, and then on Monday I am employed again but take a pay cut to zero for two years.

Got my engineering BS 3 years ago and going back for my masters in engineering in a week. Leaving my engineering job at a fortune 500 company to make nothing, seems smart right!?!

I wrangled up a research job in the department so tuition is free I'm just not getting paid. Considering tuition is like 30 flipping grand a year getting free tuition for sorta part time work isn't bad.

Thankfully my to be wife has a job that paid the same as I was making so she's covering the living expenses for the next 2 years. I side hustle pretty good building models so between tuition paid, her covering the living expenses and my side jobs covering my fun money I should have no student loan debt all said and done.

Could be worse!!

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought I worked 9 to 5 but not today, just got a call, 2 of my clients got arrested for careless driving and both of their tow trucks got impounded for 7 days......see ya'll later....:popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I didn't realize I have an update to this thread.

I was with a large accounting firm in the Internal Communications Department (video production and editing) for 25 years until we were booted in favor of an overseas external agency in April of 2017.

I was able to freelance for a year handling smaller projects that might have otherwise fallen through the cracks. But nothing was an annual thing that I could count on with any regularity.

The second year, I was able to latch on to a different creative department who was getting a lot of the internal work from the people who didn't want to deal with the overseas external agency. It was a contractor position which paid extremely well, but no benefits were included. At that same time I was able to purchase some of the leftover production equipment from the department that was killed off which I installed in my basement office and allowed me to work from home. I was able to maintain a flexible schedule which was awesome, and also take on other projects such as the end of season highlights video for the local high school football team.

The work I was turning out caught the attention of the higher ups in this other Creative Department and I was able to convince them to bring me back full-time with benefits and everything. I started back last Monday.

While these last two years won't count, I was able to maintain my 25 full-time years of service and pick back up where I left off. I also didn't have to settle for a lower salary compared to the rest of this market. While it's lower than I was making as a contractor, it's equivalent to where I would have been if I was never let go and received two years of annual raises.

I know my situation is rare, but once in a while things actually turn around for the better.

• Winner
Reactions: 13 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor