What do you guys think of this '79 4 speed Malibu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Chicagoland
I'm thinking about this car.

Has 137K miles. Has some rust. Owner says one frame rail is rusted. Lots of oil leaks, (owner says engine is factory blue), needs clutch, exhaust, etc. Owner has no history, has only owned it 8 months. The car is not local, so I'm trying to see if a friend in it's area can go see it. Guy is asking $4500, which I think is high.

What do you guys think?

3Ec3G73L15G65K65J6d49563889df571011e3.jpg

3Ee3G83N75I25K15Fad492090ed1defd61eec.jpg

3G83J53N35Lf5K15Jfd4938b9bddd74ff1f82.jpg

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
It has potential but he wouldn't get $4500 from me. There's clean g-bodies for $4500. I hate that these car shows on tv are driving the prices up. All of these junk peddlers think they're sitting on a goldmine.

-high miles
-bad clutch
-shitty engine
-shitty interior...seats, cracked dash, carpet, glove box, dash bezel cut with a gauge in it, headliner probably shot
-BAD FRAME RAIL
-SS emblems make the car look retarded

I'd be confident that the brakes, brake lines, fuel lines and exhaust are in bad shape too. Be prepared to spend more money on a neglected car. I hate to rant but I'm being honest.

chazman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Chicagoland
I agree. This car doesn't seem like a creampuff, but he wants creampuff money for it. Also, pics can be decieving, but it looks like it's had some body work.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I agree with you guys. It sounds like an exorbitantly overpriced parts car. I've seen nicer cars out there in that price range or less. He's obviously been smokin' too much ganja.
Keep walking and don't look back.

classic gbody

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2012
Under The Hood
$4500 is way too much for a car that needs to be restored and by no means a good driver. Also consider replacing the frame since the rear rails are rotted as well as floors, trunk, fuel and brake lines. It has potential only because it is a factory bucket/console/4 speed. Keep your options open because there are cleaner factory 4 speeds out there at the same price that are way nicer. Offer him $1500. Just an FYI, I own 2 factory 4 speed G-Bodies and plaid less than $3,000 each and they are much nicer than that Malibu.

1SlowBu

Greasemonkey
Jun 17, 2011
I agree with everyone and I'll add the "SS" emblems look cheesy.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
To the OP, I suggest looking for cars outside of the city. I paid $1200 for my car in Wisconsin a few years ago and it's very clean underneath. Everything in the Chicago area is overpriced, not to mention the beating a city car takes and the salt damage from our crappy winters. Those 2 cars above aren't priced too terribly bad, but I usually see Malibu's around here in the $6500 range and there's nothing special about them. You'll find better deals in Indiana, Wisconsin, and the far surrounding burbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor