What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Well I've been thinking about the roadrunner and kicking ideas of what exactly to do. It's going to remain a 4 speed car but I'm putting in a 600hp/650lb. 440 big block in place of the numbers matching drivetrain. The car is primarily going to be a mix of street machine and pro touring. Now I have always loved the 1970 plymouth superbird but they are simply a very expensive car. So I've come to you guys for some opinions and thoughts. Either I go from this:

Dadspics095.jpg

To one of these (the first one actually being the factory color I'm painting the car):

andy_71_roadrunner.jpg

beineke_71_mopar_super_bird_23_.jpg

stick with the first one... superbirds are one of my dream cars(B5 blue/white int/426 hemi) and that second pic isn't even the right body and looks cheezy. the front end looks like it'd actually lift at high speeds... :blam:

then again, that just my opinion...

IMO the best looking part of that gen is the headlight area. What happen to keeping the car factory stock?

She will get more attention with the spoiler & nose cone. Plan to buy a big crate engine? Make it a 500ci 440 stroker.

I have to agree. The stock front end looks so bad@ss.

What happen to keeping the car factory stock?

Well its simply the availability of parts. Soon after I bought the car, I bought that 440 out of the 78' winnebago RV at the local pick and pull (complete motor) for 225$. That along with Hank's passing, I bought up almost all the parts I would need for next to nothing to make a complete hopped up 440. After looking at camquest, with the comp cams xe285hl cam I'll be getting right around 536hp/534lb.

This way I can put the original #'s drivetrain aside and it will still retain it's value without the threat of something going wrong with the motor and 4 speed. Luckily when I bought the car, the guy gave me an extra 4 speed with it, that way I don't have to use the numbers transmission either. I really want to keep it original because the thing is literally an "untouched survivor" except for the paint. It's got a 100k miles on it and even has the original exhaust, that can be reused, it just has surface rust. The original clutch is in amazing shape along with the rest of the car. We fired it up the first day we got it back and she ran really good.

The great thing about this car is that I don't have to worry about vacuum with running a hopped up cam. The car's original options are manual drum brakes (picked up disc brake spindles, will still be manual though), power steering, and the 4 speed. The only thing that runs off the vacuum is the Air Conditioning in which case the factory already has a stock vacuum canister under the battery tray.

Like I said before, I'm in the middle of this one kind of. I bought this car specifically because it was not the "square" body that mopar stuck with for so many years and it was so original. I even had the judge of OE restorations from the Mopar Nationals call me and tell me "Kid, you got one serious car there that has some of the best performance/comfort options of all the roadrunners and I would leave it alone if I were you. Along with his whole speel about how to to a basically "GOLD" factory restoration on this thing. Yeah right, I'm 19 I am not going to the extreme factory resto on this car unless I'm in my 40's or 50's :lol:. So keep the opinions coming, I like talking to you guys cause the guys over on the mopar forums might kill me on this.

The '71-'72 Plymouth Satellite's, Roadrunner's, and GTX's are one of my favorite body styles.

Those "Dayclona" things are ****in' gay.

If you want a Superbird, sell your '71 and go buy a '70.

Even if I sold the roadrunner, there is no way I would have enough to buy a 70' superbird. I would only have like half of what I would need to buy one lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor