what gears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigshot846

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2009
White Lake,MI
i have 373 gears now but i want somethin that wont put so much stress on my motor for crusin around, at the same time i dont want to sacrifice my 1/4 et at the track

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Keep them. You aren't causing any stress running those. I swapped my factory highway gears out for a set of 3.73s. And to be honest, it's better on gas now that it was before. But that's in town, not the highway lol.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Only way to have your cake and eat it to is to have an overdrive. With the 200-4r your 3.73 would have a final drive ratio of 2.499. Keeps the acceleration and great for interstate. Often you can buy a good condition used 200-4r for less that $500 from a GN/Ttype/442/MCSS or one from anything else for $350 or less. Check all the various gbody boards the gbody specialty vendors or local Craig's list.

If you want it to hold up behind some power invest in a good shift kit such as the www.ckperformance.com sells. I got one of theirs on special for $100. Also an inexpensive transmission cooler. If you want to make due with a 3 speed the best balance between acceleration and highway is usually a 3.08 or 3.23. The 3.23 would be a drop in from where you are. You might also be able to find someone that would trade thier 3.23 for your 3.73.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
why not pick up another rear end drum to drum and set it up for the track...then you can run whatever gear you want for the street and switch out the rear end for the track....it'll only take a couple of hours to switch out rear ends and I suppose you already switch your shocks for the track as well.....

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Why swap gears at all? His concern seems to be that the 3.73s are causing stress on his motor. Just keep them and enjoy. 8)

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
You can play a bit with tires/rims.

Run some nice fat 275/60 on the street. They are 27.5 tall which kills some of your effective ratio.

On Saturday night or race day, bolt up a set of 26/10.5 ET Streets and have some fun "stressing " your motor. :lol:

You could even drive to the track with the ET Streets in the trunk and swap there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor