What I did this Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I wasn't around much this Summer because I have been outfitting a small 15' Boston Whaler for fishing. I bought it several years ago as a retirement project, then my Dad got sick and eventually passed, which put my life on hold. So this Summer I finally got down to making it seaworthy enough to test and tune and wow am I impressed. The little 48SPL just leaps her up on plane and she skims along like a big jet-ski. The hull design puts the spray down so well, and slices thru chop and wakes like butter. This is all the motor I need, it's plenty fast for this old guy, and gas consumption should be minimal. I could use more space for stuff but I am spoiled by my old 18' Lund which has gobs of storage. I need to learn to travel lighter anyway. I put the console and cooler/flip-seat on and built a mahogany flip-up box to cover the gas tanks and battery. So now that I am in love with it, I can continue to outfit her. I need to install compass, gauges, radio, fishfinder, bilge pumps, railings, and a pedestal seat up front. That should keep me busy over the winter. Watch out fishes, next season it's ON!
PA040513.jpg
PA050522.jpg
PA040517.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yet, in the boating world, no one knows what that is! Weird.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
looks great. I have been eyeing boats all summer for some reason

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Bonnewagon said:

Ummmmm, I think we need video of the Bonnewagon ripping doughnuts while hauling the boat :lol: Nice find!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Mark,
They're great little rough water boats. I did notice the Mr. Horsepower decal on the cowl.. :wink:
How many horsepower is that Evinrude? I had a friend that had one with a 50 hp Mercury. It was a fun boat.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hi Jack. It's a 48 SPL (special) which is a 50 hp without oil injection or power trim/tilt. It does have a pneumatic assist, kind of like an air shock. Otherwise it has the same cc's, carbs, jets, gears, all the same specs. It was too much motor for my 18' aluminum skiff but it is perfect for this little guy. Oldsmoletick- funny story. When I had the Pontiac 400 in my other wagon, I was towing a boat and this putz in a Mustang wouldn't let me get over to the right lane. So at a light I floored it, wailed past him as he struggled to maintain, and Crazy Pete yelled out the window, "That's right mother_ucker we're towing a BOAT and BEATING YOU!". :rofl:

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
:lol: :rofl: I remember you posting that a while back, lol, that pic seemed to trigger that memory. :lol:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
Hi Jack. It's a 48 SPL (special) which is a 50 hp without oil injection or power trim/tilt. It does have a pneumatic assist, kind of like an air shock. Otherwise it has the same cc's, carbs, jets, gears, all the same specs. It was too much motor for my 18' aluminum skiff but it is perfect for this little guy. Oldsmoletick- funny story. When I had the Pontiac 400 in my other wagon, I was towing a boat and this putz in a Mustang wouldn't let me get over to the right lane. So at a light I floored it, wailed past him as he struggled to maintain, and Crazy Pete yelled out the window, "That's right mother_ucker we're towing a BOAT and BEATING YOU!". :rofl:
==========================================================================================================
Sorry Mark, you did mention 48 SPL initially. I just thought it was the model number of the engine. That's a nice rig.
I like the story about blowing away the jerk in the Mustang. That must have blew his mind getting blown away by a mundane looking Malibu wagon...pulling a boat trailer no doubt...love it! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor