WHAT IS A GOV LOCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zone_4_Lanlord

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2010
Philadelphia, Mississippi
So im looking to build up my rear end, and im gathering up parts and i run across what a guy tells me is a gov lock. Can any body explain whats the differance from and other posi differential.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
to start with the gov-lok is a piece of sh*t. basically it's an open diff, when you spin the tires fast enough a "tab" is pushed out and engages the lock turning it into a locked rear. unfortunately it puts a huge amount of stress on parts and breaks all the time. i know one mechanic who killed one with the wheels in the air and at relatively low speed!
other posi's use clutches, helical gears and or cone systems that built to take abuse and also function at all speeds.

78PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2009
Queens,Ny
Its almost like a trans brake instead its on the rear and puts a massive amount of stress on your gears like he said i wouldnt use that sh*t get a higher stall speed converter

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
78PontiacGP said:
Its almost like a trans brake instead its on the rear and puts a massive amount of stress on your gears like he said i wouldnt use that sh*t get a higher stall speed converter

:wtf:

A Gov-lock has a rotating flywheel with teeth cut on it, and a couple of different cams(or governors) and actuators. It is actually supposed to work like a posi at all times, and a locker when tire speed is equal. They usually do not work properly and explode as mentioned earlier. I had one in my S10 and it would spin one tire and then you would hear a pop and both would then start spinning. Pass on the Gov-Lock and find an Auburn or Eaton unit.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I installed one in my 4x4, Z71 came with an open 8.5" :? . I was going to get a Powertrax but got this for 1/2 the price. My actuator went, replaced it. I tested it on my garden with snow over the running boards. I got stuck, rocked it back and forth. One front tire and ONE rear tire was spinning. A Powertrax would have got me out, I had to shovel a bit :( . The Gov lock seems to work fine at rolling speeds but is useless at low speeds where you really need it.

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Gov lock works at 5mph and up if you axle is a 7.5 or even 7.6 it is junk. If people think that a 7.5 is strong thay are not making any power or torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor