Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Custom Stitch Typo?

Is it a Repo Window Sticker?

Back in the day, before computers, people typed those.

I had a Repo Window sticker for my SC360 in 1985. Only nerds had a computer in 1985.

Reactions: 1 user

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Custom Stitch. Does the pad have molded stitching in the plastic?
I would say the dash has the stitching affect. The non stitched dash was on the 1978 Pontiacs and 79 LeMans typically
I meant to post this link to the pictures

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Second to last paragraph. Source:1980 full-line brochure. I'm with UNGN on this, I think it's a typo

80p_27.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Custom Stitch Typo?

Is it a Repo Window Sticker?

Back in the day, before computers, people typed those.

I had a Repo Window sticker for my SC360 in 1985. Only nerds had a computer in 1985.
Interesting hypothesis. I would agree it appears more like it's a typo. Makes more sense that way. Whoever set that up fugged up. Not a big deal though. All Grand Am Coupes must've come with custom stitch (assume it's that fake looking stitch pattern) on their instrument panels, apparently.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Interesting hypothesis. I would agree it appears more like it's a typo. Makes more sense that way. Whoever set that up fugged up. Not a big deal though. All Grand Am Coupes must've come with custom stitch (assume it's that fake looking stitch pattern) on their instrument panels, apparently.
All 79-80 Grand Ams, 79-80 Grand Lemans and 79-80+ Grand Prix had the fake stitching. 78 Grand Am and 78-79 Lemans, 78 Grand Prix did not. Some 79's did use the 78 dash. I imagine they were just using up what they had left in stock. This is what I've noticed with the 25+ Grand Ams I've had and many other models I've parted. Very difficult to find a "78" dash pad that isn't extremely brittle.

Here is a window sticker of another 80 I had. Same IP Pad custom switch listed.
It still may be a typo, but I need more convincing.

Any other Pontiac owners with PHS or window stickers can share what they show?

Attachments

• 20201126_174629.jpg
    20201126_174629.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm convinced it should be "stitch", thanks to Ribbedroof . There's factory-provided evidence to support it. The biggest variance I've seen with different window stickers is abbreviations. Some squeeze down the word by taking out vowels, others just cut off the word to make it fit.

If it is a typo, I would expect it to be on many, if not all, the window stickers unless and until that someone found the problem. GM didn't just set up the printing machine to make just one window sticker.

I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but another thing I'm convinced of is that these are repros where PHS did the typo. I'm not saying this to stir the pot or pi$$ anyone off. I'm just pointing to the truth.

Since you mentioned that PHS did the window sticker, PHS never provided "original" printed-by-GM window stickers. And if they were original, they likely would be a different color than bright white like it was printed yesterday. I'd expect a 40 year-old document that GM didn't really care about but only done because of Federal law to have a bit of yellowing to it. Plus they're missing the part number of the window sticker that's somewhere on the bottom margin of an original, either down the side or bottom in the corner.

This just dawned on me to look over the whole window sticker to find those anomalies. When I was researching window stickers, I ran across many people that were doing it. Some were doing it right and eerily accurate, some weren't. These folks typically make them off an invoice and according to Mike Noun (who makes very accurate Pontiac Firebird window stickers) PHS did a decent job, but has areas that aren't correct. Unfortunately, PHS isn't going to fix it, because they got out of the window sticker reproduction supplier service about 6 years ago.

To borrow Mike's Firebird picture to show differences...

1978_window_sticker_comparison_PHS_vs_Mike_Noun_version.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Again, Huh. 🤔 Looks like you might be onto something there.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I'm convinced it should be "stitch", thanks to Ribbedroof . There's factory-provided evidence to support it. The biggest variance I've seen with different window stickers is abbreviations. Some squeeze down the word by taking out vowels, others just cut off the word to make it fit.
It sure is looking like a typo. I would like to see when this started, or when they started listing the dash stitched dash pad as standard option. It may be on other window stickers.
If it is a typo, I would expect it to be on many, if not all, the window stickers unless and until that someone found the problem. GM didn't just set up the printing machine to make just one window sticker.
Agree with this...
I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but another thing I'm convinced of is that these are repros where PHS did the typo. I'm not saying this to stir the pot or pi$$ anyone off. I'm just pointing to the truth.
This could be exactly what happened. Not going to pi$$ me off one this...I appreciate all of the input.....I "trust, but verify"
Since you mentioned that PHS did the window sticker, PHS never provided "original" printed-by-GM window stickers.
The only PHS packets I have are for 2 of my 4 speed cars. Are these not printed from files they bought from Pontiac? Mine are nowhere near full size. Just a poor copy, not even 1/2 page size.
And if they were original, they likely would be a different color than bright white like it was printed yesterday. I'd expect a 40 year-old document that GM didn't really care about but only done because of Federal law to have a bit of yellowing to it. Plus they're missing the part number of the window sticker that's somewhere on the bottom margin of an original, either down the side or bottom in the corner.
Not sure if they are original. I'll contact both original owners to verify

This just dawned on me to look over the whole window sticker to find those anomalies. When I was researching window stickers, I ran across many people that were doing it. Some were doing it right and eerily accurate, some weren't. These folks typically make them off an invoice and according to Mike Noun (who makes very accurate Pontiac Firebird window stickers)
I met one person at a show, saw him several times at different shows. He had zero interest in making window stickers for the Grand Am.
PHS did a decent job, but has areas that aren't correct. Unfortunately, PHS isn't going to fix it, because they got out of the window sticker reproduction supplier service about 6 years ago.

To borrow Mike's Firebird picture to show differences...

1978_window_sticker_comparison_PHS_vs_Mike_Noun_version.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor