What is the "real" bolt pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I have run dozens of 5x120 5x4.75 combos without failure. That's the whole point of being lug centric. .7mm divided by 5? .14 of a mm difference basically invisible to the naked eye? Taken in to account the collective diameters and depth of contact surface area of the 5 nuts to wheel face, thread depth, torque specs... I'd like to see somebody actually prove that they had a failure due to having 5x120mm wheels on a 5x4.75" vehicle with all other factors correct.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Dealing with shitty chinese spacers with thick threads and possible manufacturing flaws or loose tolerances may be a whole other issue and you should probably be extra scrutinous in what you're bolting to your car to make work just for the sake of "fitment" or fashion. At that point all bets are off. I stand by my original statement though considering all other factors are correct.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the lug does not sit in the center of the hole for the stud the taper on the nut puts stress on the bolt trying to seat properly....

93198d1373223452-1999-4runner-keeps-losing-lug-nuts-one-wheel-lug3.jpg

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
if the lug does not sit in the center of the hole for the stud the taper on the nut puts stress on the bolt trying to seat properly....

93198d1373223452-1999-4runner-keeps-losing-lug-nuts-one-wheel-lug3.jpg
That looks like somebody used a flat or hubcentric style nut on a wheel that required acorn style nuts for lugcentric seating. There are also aftermarket nuts with differently angled acorn faces and or wider or lesser diameters.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
And the one variable not yet mentioned...lug size. I picked up a set of 2013 Camaro rims and tires for my coupe from Craigslist for cheap. (No, I'm not driving on them right now.) The Camaro hubs use M14 lugs vs. the G-body that uses M12. I initially tried 5x4.75 (5x120.7) spacers and saw how deep the lug nuts sat in the counterbores on the rims. I researched acorn-style lug nuts, then looked at replacing the lugs on the adapters. In then end, the right way to do this is to get 1.5 to 2 inch offset adapters with 5x120.7 M12 holes for the G-body hub and 5x120 M14 studs and nuts for the Camaro wheel. I picked up a used set of 255-40-18 tires that more closely match the G-body diameter (and sold the nearly-new Camaro tires, so the tire change was about free...). The wheel adapters were about $150 for a set of four on EBay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That looks like somebody used a flat or hubcentric style nut on a wheel that required acorn style nuts for lugcentric seating. There are also aftermarket nuts with differently angled acorn faces and or wider or lesser diameters.

you missed the point.....when you have a defection on a bolt or stud stress is placed on the whole area and something will fail.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
you missed the point.....when you have a defection on a bolt or stud stress is placed on the whole area and something will fail.
That's basically what I said. Still have yet to see a failure due to .14 mm overall difference. That's my whole point. There are a million factors that can lead to failure... 5x120 with 5x4.75 is not one of them in my experience.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I guess engineers are a waste of time, what do they know about bolt patterns on wheels, if it's close it will fit....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor