What should I Do

Status
Not open for further replies.
1979Calais said:
My Cutlass took all my money, so this will be a budget build. I am between silver and the original color right now, but my price range for the engine is $3,000-$3,500. Every time I look at motorheadmike's SS all I can think about is going black.

If you insist on painting it, go with the original white. If you are planning on spending $3000+ on a motor you could probably find a pretty nice BBC (454, maybe? :mrgreen: ). You'll probably want a 700R4 to back it up too. Around here you could snag a decent one for around $1000, give or take a couple hundred.

joesregalproject said:
1979Calais said:
My Cutlass took all my money, so this will be a budget build. I am between silver and the original color right now, but my price range for the engine is $3,000-$3,500. Every time I look at motorheadmike's SS all I can think about is going black.

If you insist on painting it, go with the original white. If you are planning on spending $3000+ on a motor you could probably find a pretty nice BBC (454, maybe? :mrgreen: ). You'll probably want a 700R4 to back it up too. Around here you could snag a decent one for around $1000, give or take a couple hundred.
Good luck finding a 700R4 that is built enough to take the torque of a big block for $1000. You would probably be further ahead to go with a 200-4R since they are known to take more abuse consistently when built correctly.

-83MONTESS- said:
joesregalproject said:
1979Calais said:

Good luck finding a 700R4 that is built enough to take the torque of a big block for $1000. You would probably be further ahead to go with a 200-4R since they are known to take more abuse consistently when built correctly.

x2

If this is going to be a budget build I would probably stick with the current color for now (which I actually like) and just get the nose repainted and whatever else needs cosmetic attention.
As nice as a BBC install sounds I don't feel you have the budget to do it properly, a nice SBC would be your best bet and will be a basic R & R since everything will be a direct swap and there won't be any interference issues and you can save your 305 and reinstall it later and then paint the car white if you want to sell it as more of an original car.

I like the color on there now, but the paint has bubbles in it. I only have about $6,000 to put into it right now. I have someone that's talking about giving me an LT1 out of their 95 Camaro, but it still may need to be freshen up. I need to decide on the engine now while it is cold, but first it is going to the body shop to get the t top fixed.

I wanted to type more, but my wife has p'ed me off.

1979Calais said:
I like the color on there now, but the paint has bubbles in it. I only have about $6,000 to put into it right now. I have someone that's talking about giving me an LT1 out of their 95 Camaro, but it still may need to be freshen up. I need to decide on the engine now while it is cold, but first it is going to the body shop to get the t top fixed.

I wanted to type more, but my wife has p'ed me off.
If someone is looking to GIVE you an LT1 I would go that route and spend the money in other areas or save it for your other project. LT1s are decent engines that have bad reputations mainly from people with no experience with them beyond the cliche "I have a friend that has a friend that said they were junk".

Bill, joesregalproject
I may paint it black or silver later.

joesregalproject
Would love a big block, but wouldn't I have to get rid on my AC?

85GPLef41
I wish I could afford to get 408 ls stroker, but I have no more money to do a car like I am doing my Cutlass.

DRIVEN
There is no way that I really want to keep it stock. I really don’t like white because it looks too plan.

83MONTESS
I am going with what you said and get a 383 Stroker and maybe get the 2004r in there built to stand behind it. He not taking the LT1 out anymore, so I got to find an engine. I guess I will be looking for an 8.5 rear soon. Also I would have loved to have fuel injected under the hood.

Pontiacgp
I hope it was an old lady that the sales man sold the car to. Buying an SS without posi is just like buying a Camaro with a V6.

565bbchevy
I am going to stick with the color it is now and put my money elsewhere, wife just took $2,000 of it. Also I am going to keep the 305 just in case I want to return it stock.

:rofl: 'id love a big block but wouldn't I have to give up my a/c?' is the most hilarious comment I recently read on here. I mean drop the windows before you rev up the big block and lean slightly the left are you serious? The a/c units kind of suck I've never been in a G that had great a/c anyway... It's not like you're in TX / NM / AZ where the heat could kill someone you're in MD :wink: As for the rest of the car if I were you I'd go back to white but swap to a 350. It sounds like you want to have some more power keep a/c and do some burnouts but not really heading to the strip so why overspend on a big block then? Stick with the 2004r unless you get an LT1 and it happens to come w 700r4 of course. White / black / grey are the colors that will help the car hold it's value in case you ever lose interest in it later

Get a 5.3 or 6.0 LS. Unless a decent sbc comes your way for free, why bother? I am sure there are many guys on here who can help with the swap that have done it. You can run an adapter and use your 2004R. Add a shift kit, 700 or 4L60E filter with deep pan and a 10 vane pump, stiffer spring and hardened rings. Your stock stall is decent as is. This is assuming that everything is stock and in good shape. You also have the better 7.625" rear.

pencero said:
:rofl: 'id love a big block but wouldn't I have to give up my a/c?' is the most hilarious comment I recently read on here. I mean drop the windows before you rev up the big block and lean slightly the left are you serious? The a/c units kind of suck I've never been in a G that had great a/c anyway... It's not like you're in TX / NM / AZ where the heat could kill someone you're in MD :wink: As for the rest of the car if I were you I'd go back to white but swap to a 350. It sounds like you want to have some more power keep a/c and do some burnouts but not really heading to the strip so why overspend on a big block then? Stick with the 2004r unless you get an LT1 and it happens to come w 700r4 of course. White / black / grey are the colors that will help the car hold it's value in case you ever lose interest in it later

Only reason I put AC and heat in my Cutlass is because of my kids. With my kids riding in my car I need heat and AC no matter what. Also I will not be taking it to the track. I have been making a spread sheet of what everyone is giving me input on what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor