What should I Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrasher

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
pontiacgp said:
when a chinese $5 part causes you to loose a race then you will understand why we don't mind spending more money to by made in America parts.

Not to mention that it undermines the US economy. Our choice for quality products is getting worse every year.
I fear that sometime in the next few years low quality offshore produced junk will be our only choice because corporations and people just want to save a buck.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
thrasher said:
pontiacgp said:
when a chinese $5 part causes you to loose a race then you will understand why we don't mind spending more money to by made in America parts.

Not to mention that it undermines the US economy. Our choice for quality products is getting worse every year.
I fear that sometime in the next few years low quality offshore produced junk will be our only choice because corporations and people just want to save a buck.

I think our quality parts are getting better each year. With companies like UMI and PST they design and make their parts in the US. Also the junk from china is not accepted by alot of people which is forcing the chinese to have better quality control on their parts which increases the cost of production. The parts coming out of china will be higher in price which makes the prices from the US manufacturers look more affordable. There are more and more people who look to see where a product is made and won't accept the chinese parts. I'm not the only one who will pay more for a part made in the US and I think the tide is turning, the demand for quality parts made by our neighbors will keep on increasing. We all win buying parts made here cause that puts money in their pockets to better the economy.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
thepcsurgeon said:
Go fast now, look pretty later. Get that driveline in good shape to handle the new HP. IMO, the 3.73 gear ratio coupled with the 2004r transmission is a great combo. Just need to beef it up and get a Posi in the rear end.

I need to see if I got a 7.5 or 8.5, but I do want 3.73 gears and I may get the 2004r rebuild if its not too much.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
King_V said:
-83MONTESS- said:
If someone is looking to GIVE you an LT1 I would go that route and spend the money in other areas or save it for your other project. LT1s are decent engines that have bad reputations mainly from people with no experience with them beyond the cliche "I have a friend that has a friend that said they were junk".

x2 - good running FREE motor . . and far more power than you could ever get out of the 305 - I say grab it!

Brother in law changed his mind about taking the LT1 out, so off to find a 383.

thrasher

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
pontiacgp said:
I think our quality parts are getting better each year.

That's not what I'm seeing when I go to parts stores. Hell even the majority of stuff that NAPA has anymore seems to be low quality made in China/Mexico.
And look what's happened to MSD. I got took by their made in China HEI distributor a few years ago and that kind of poor manufacturing is spreading like a disease in their line up.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
1979Calais said:
I will be buying from Summit, so you all can email each other about China made Sh--!

I don't get your point, Summit is just a reseller of parts

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
1979Calais said:
thepcsurgeon said:
Go fast now, look pretty later. Get that driveline in good shape to handle the new HP. IMO, the 3.73 gear ratio coupled with the 2004r transmission is a great combo. Just need to beef it up and get a Posi in the rear end.

I need to see if I got a 7.5 or 8.5, but I do want 3.73 gears and I may get the 2004r rebuild if its not too much.

If it's still stock, it's a 7.5, 26 spline axle. If you plan on a lot of track time, you will need new axles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor