What the ell is with Rock Auto?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
For all the car parts your car does not need, choose Rock Auto. Horrible customer service, a website from 2001, frustrating return policy, bad news all around. Recently, against better judgement, I ordered a throttle body for my daily driver, paid for expedited shipping, via DHL, it arrived two days late after DHL "handed it off to a local carrier for delivery". the Local carrier was the post office. Lame. Oh, and they sent the wrong throttle body...Fail.

Nov 4, 2012
Hmm. I haven't had any issues and I've been buying a lot from them lately. Bought the intake gaskets for my grandfather's Buick a couple weeks ago and spark plugs for my sister's Hyundai a few weeks before that. Actually just ordered a set of brake pads this morning. I always pick the cheapest shipping option.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Never had a shipping or part as ordered problem from RA. Lived in the Middle East and DHL was our prefered carrier with no problems at all. sooner or later there will be a glitch with any shipper and then everyone piles on. If you don't like RA buy from someone else and stop complaining. Try living in Kuwait and getting a part for GCC spec Caprice. Next day delivery by the big "A" yes most of the time but then it may get and has been delivered to you neighbors house.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Listen, I have been using RA for 16 years. In the beginning it was just great. I really like to stock up on closeouts like a case of oil filters, gaskets I know I will need, brake parts, all kinds of stuff. It is only recently they have been pissing me off. It started when they began charging separate shipping if your order came from different warehouses. Then the return policy is total BS. Your ' return core charge' shipping is on you, so it sometimes makes no sense to return the core for your deposit. Then I once ordered 100 water outlet gaskets and they sent 100 of the wrong one. They said the vendor makes the item description and it is not their problem. I still don't know what engine those gaskets fit but I have 100 of them. But this BS of handing off to DHL is bewildering. How does adding another carrier save anyone money? I know the USPS is used for the 'last mile delivery' as I used to do it. But if I chose the USPS and you add a week of needless delay that is on RA and it is bad for business.

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Never had a shipping or part as ordered problem from RA. Lived in the Middle East and DHL was our prefered carrier with no problems at all. sooner or later there will be a glitch with any shipper and then everyone piles on. If you don't like RA buy from someone else and stop complaining. Try living in Kuwait and getting a part for GCC spec Caprice. Next day delivery by the big "A" yes most of the time but then it may get and has been delivered to you neighbors house.

Not complaining, just sharing my experience; my apologies if that is too much for you to handle. I'm happy that you got what you needed when you needed it.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
show me something retail/labor/shipping based these days that isn't what it used to be these days?is what is. lap dance$ haven't changed btw..

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've had one bad experience with RA several years ago. I ordered a (high pressure) power steering hose for my Mercury Capri. What appeared to be the right hose, one fitting was wrong. I tried to return it, but I would've been on the hook for return shipping. They screw up and I'm penalized...go figure.
They agreed to split the cost of the hose which is totally useless to me. It just wasn't worth sending it back. I still deal with Rock Auto on occasion, but on a very limited basis. If I can acquire the same part locally factoring in the shipping, I'll opt to purchase locally.

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Listen, I have been using RA for 16 years. In the beginning it was just great. I really like to stock up on closeouts like a case of oil filters, gaskets I know I will need, brake parts, all kinds of stuff. It is only recently they have been pissing me off. It started when they began charging separate shipping if your order came from different warehouses. Then the return policy is total BS. Your ' return core charge' shipping is on you, so it sometimes makes no sense to return the core for your deposit. Then I once ordered 100 water outlet gaskets and they sent 100 of the wrong one. They said the vendor makes the item description and it is not their problem. I still don't know what engine those gaskets fit but I have 100 of them. But this BS of handing off to DHL is bewildering. How does adding another carrier save anyone money? I know the USPS is used for the 'last mile delivery' as I used to do it. But if I chose the USPS and you add a week of needless delay that is on RA and it is bad for business.
They've been doing that 'extra shipping different warehouses' on me at least for probably 5, 6 years. Maybe more. I used to skip ordering some stuff from them when stocking up on closeouts because of that shipping upcharge.

And you can bet if they sent me 100 of something the description didn't say it was, I'd be doing a charge back from USAA.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
They might be getting overloaded, our local Auto Plus said that they have just been ordering a lot of their parts from them since they were having trouble with other places

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor