What would you have done differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buhler86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2018
Manitoba, Canada
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum! I am planning on getting started on restoring my 86 Monte. I have purchased a rotisserie and am starting to figure out a game plan. I haven't done a resto project before so if you have any tips or tricks, or things you learned along the way I would appreciate it.

I am planning on taking the body off and redoing the floor and taking care of any other issues I find. Body work and paint eventually. I will be putting headers and dual exhaust on, ratchet shift transmission, new gauges and maybe a crate engine someday.

Here is what I am starting with. The interior is in pretty good shape. The body has some dings and some small rust starting, and the paint is faded.

20181018_091110.jpg
20181018_091126.jpg
20181018_091145.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Looks like a great starting point! There’s no “right” or “wrong” way to do a restomod. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. Just make sure the parts you use are good quality, and if you get work done at a shop, that you get referrals.

Reactions: 1 users

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Welcome , good looking car

as far as tips on your restoration ................pictures of every thing you touch / tag & bag every nut & bolt / do not throw out anything till your really sure you will not need it for some reason .

put up shelving ( lots ) just to hold parts .........be organized.

And if you have a budget...................double it now.

never add up the receipts.

lastly enjoy

• Agree
Reactions: 12 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Unless you just can't get to everything, I would suggest if redoing the floor pans that you try to do as much as possible BEFORE removing body from frame. Right now everything is as straight as it's going to be, and depending on what needs done, etc., etc., you minimize the risk of something shifting/twisting due to missing/rotted sheet metal and bracing etc. If you can't, you just can't. But that's simply a suggestion.

Take LOTS of pictures of stuff BEFORE you take it apart as you go along. It will help when things go back together. Also, LOTS and LOTS of baggies/small boxes to put odds/ends in with a handful of magic markers to mark such baggies as to what/where you removed such parts. Try to organize it in sections, like this bag of bolts is for fan belt accessories, this baggie is marked radiator support bolts, etc. The better organized you are coming apart will mean a more than likely smooth return to service.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
My opinion? Don't do a rotisserie resto on a car that isn't worth at least 20k when done unless the car has big sentimental value.

A car doesn't need a rotisserie resto to be cool and the percentage of home finished resto cars that actually get finished has to be less than 25%. Cars get gutted, sand blasted, primed, engine assembled, and then the person runs out of time, money, energy or all of them. They then dump the car on CL for 25% of what they have in it with the title "All it needs is paint" "Fresh engine, never ran", and "Over 25k invested". It's my opinion that there are only 2 types of people that can do a rotisserie resto in under 5 years (with rare exceptions). 1. People who are getting paid to do resto stuff 2. People that get paid to do resto stuff and do it on their own car for free

Of the 5 G bodies I have owned, 4 of them were is some state of "I am going to fix it up one day" and they never did.

If you want to modify it, there is no reason the body has to come off the frame to do 75% of the things you want. That monte looks in pretty good shape and doesn't need a ton. Put some newer wheels on, a crate engine, gages/interior, ect. None of those things are significant time savings to do a full resto. The day it takes to change exhaust, the couple weekends it takes to swap the 305 over to a 383 or something, the evening after work to swap gages, isn't worth it to me at least to tear a car apart and let it sit in the garage for 3 years in various boxes.

It's more fun to drive your not perfect but useable fun car than have a primer shell in the garage for 5 years.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Welcome, you have nice G body to start with.......what I would have done differently is I would have shipped my GP to Jared and his crew or Jack or any of the others in here that have done beautiful work on their car(s), to rebuild it and then send it to UMI so they could make me a Blue Machine........:cool:

Reactions: 2 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Well, I can't say specifically from a G-Body standpoint since I've not had to do much to mine, but from a General standpoint:

1) You get what you pay for. Getting the "Cheapest in the list from Amazon" isn't usually the best idea. Stick with the good, name brands.

2) Rockauto.com

3) Take care of these first:
a) Steering
b) Brakes/Tires
c) Suspension
If it doesn't go where you point it, doesn't stop, or if a wheel falls off, all that money put into making it GO could be wasted.

4) There are no stupid questions, but search the forum first.. Chances are, its been asked and answered.

5) Don't get in a hurry. Do it right, once.. or you will be doing it over and over and over again.

6) If you get frustrated, walk away for awhile.

7) Don't drive drunk. Especially powerful cars. I built a nice 383 Stroker for a guy, only to have him put the engine in the passenger seat next to him using the phone pole method.

8) Unless you're putting it back to stock, make it the way you want. If you like the old school Cragar SS Rims, put em on the car.. if you want to paint it neon green, go for it.. don't worry about what other people think. It's your car.

-Gonz

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
If I had to start over, I'd start with a clear goal for the car. I think one of my biggest problems is that my goals have consistently shifted without ever achieving anything. Acquiring knowledge from this forum will have you thinking the world of 400whp until you see someone with 800rwhp in a daily driver. Clear goals.

I should have yanked the engine, pulled the body off, and addressed the frame. Then have the body worked and painted. Then, in this order, at least for me, rear end, brakes, suspension, transmission, engine, interior/stereo.

It also matters if you want to fix it up as you enjoy it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

buhler86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2018
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the insight so far, everyone. I appreciate any wisdom you have to share from your experiences.
My opinion? Don't do a rotisserie resto on a car that isn't worth at least 20k when done unless the car has big sentimental value.

I live in Canada, and the conditions are rough on cars. My first car was an 84 Monte. I had it for 9 years before I had to finally sell it to someone for stock car parts this spring. The frame was completely rotten and the body was going downhill fast. I found this car for a good price and I want to ensure that it will last a long time. So I want to put in the work now before it gets to the point where it is beyond. I don't need it to be a show stopper of a car, but I want to enjoy it for many years to come. So I want to find and neutralize all the problems it may acquired over the past 32 years, and hope to get that many more out of it :giggle:

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor