What's it worth? What would you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
In my opinion NOS stuff is the best stuff. It's the real thing. So much reproduction stuff doesn't fit or is lousy quality. I don't really think those prices you paid are awful. You have to ask yourself how many of them are left, how bad do you want it and can you afford it? The bumper was expensive but look at what you got.

About a year ago I bought a NOS cruise control kit for a G body, in the box, complete with instruction sheet and with the hardware bag unopened. I think I paid $350 which hurt at the time but I haven't seen another since. Recently I bought a NOS third brake light kit for $35 shipped, in the box with instructions, hardware, harness, etc. I've also purchased three NOS bumper guard impact strips all for around $35 each. I haven't been able to find a fourth. Finally, I recently found a NOS driver's side inner fender extension for my car for around $40 shipped. They are nearly impossible to find used so I thought it was a steal.

On the other hand, there was a guy on ebay that had a pair of the "Galaxie 500 XL" quarter panel emblems for Dad's car. They are one year only and XL trim specific. The guy wanted $800. Dad wanted them but couldn't justify spending that much on them. He might have bought them for $400 but someone else bought them for $600. For $600, we'll see if we can get Dad's old emblems restored.
I might have a extra set off of my 64 XL 500 controvertible let me look later and if I have them I will let you know Jeff from Winnipeg I am at work and in the middle of a blizzard so it maybe a day or two for me to check

Reactions: 1 users

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for your compliments guys.
One of the best deals I've recently made was a set of NOS headlight bezels for a 1980 Malibu, In the GM boxes for 25.00ea Canadian!
They would fit the Race Car but I bought some new ones in 2002 from our local GM dealer (I think I paid 45.00ish each back then) And they are still perfect.
I seen a set on eBay for 500.00 USD That would be nice!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Those are both great looking cars. I would be proud to have found/bought that rear bumper. What a nice part.

el corvino

Greasemonkey
Aug 23, 2015
Ummm, so a re-chromed bumper at $500 is too much? What are you guys smoking? Expensive, a bit, but a good deal, yes.... Call and get a quote on one yourself.

The other prices look amazing. Even harder to find and more insanely priced, would definitely be 86/87 GN NOS parts. An original NOS 9 pin hood liner goes about $1200. So if you have the money and want to best of the best (not always in every instance), you are doing very well and coming across some GREAT deals.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well, what I find myself doing is getting an idea of what I WANT to pay for whatever I am on the hunt for, then I figure, so would anyone else...so, I tell myself I am a cheapskate, but if I have to give double to get what I WANT I will, because, you are better off in the long run, not to buy two or three lesser versions....plus, most of that sting goes away with quality.

Ask me about some 455 Buick Micky Thompson Super Scavenger headers I bought once....they fit awesome...beautiful show chrome....long with these epic merge collectors....like goes out past the freaking transmission crossmember. They make big block Malibu headers look cheap. I was upset, until I unpacked them, then, when they slid right on...totally worth it. I gave more for those headers than the 1970 GS 455 I bought them for...

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Ummm, so a re-chromed bumper at $500 is too much? What are you guys smoking? Expensive, a bit, but a good deal, yes.... Call and get a quote on one yourself.

I should have been a little more clear about the cost of bumper...for me.
Add shipping from California to Ontario Canada, Exchange CND for USD, Brokerage Fees and lets not forget about the 13% Ontario Provincial Sale Taxes on everything we buy. I spent in total $1028.30 Canadian to get it to my door.
I do think it was a good deal for a great looking piece. BUT all I was looking for was new, mint or rechromed bumper guards and couldn't find any other then the ones on this complete bumper. That's what hurt a little. I'll take the guards off it and keep the bumper as a spare or sell it later on.

P.S. I don't smoke. I prefer Budweiser!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor