Whats the best car you ever owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

83cutlass350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2011
bushkill,PA
mine was an old beater a 85 ford f150 302 2 wheel drive just used it in the summer to go to lowes and things like that but it had to be the best truck i ever owned. i live in PA and i would drive that truck to cali thats how good it was.
whats the best you ever owned?

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Well...
Depends on how you define "best car", The most pleasant to drive was a Mk6 Lincoln with all its bells and whistles and luxurious ride and armchair seats.
The most useful was an ex USAF Dodge crewcab that just kept going no matter how much I abused it.
Both my GBody wagons exceeded all my expectations of them, and both were very reliable.

However I think the one that I remember most fondly was my Vauxhall Nova sedan, a tiny British subcompact.
Its tiny 1.2 liter engine would propel the car along at 80 mph all day, and the trunk was truly enormous for such a small car, it held as much as my '87 Olds Delta 88!.
It regularly returned 40+ mpg too.
Granted it wasn't very fast off the line, but it kept up with traffic easily, and I didn't have to turn up the radio at high speeds, it was adequately comfortable and in 7 years/98000 miles only the vacuum advance and brake booster failed.
It frequently took 4 adults on weekend camping trips with enough room for everyone and all the camping gear, food and beer for the trip.
I paid £150 ($220) for it with 47000 miles on the clock and a big dent where it had been in a rear end shunt. I kicked the trunk back into shape (it never leaked) and used it until structural rust finally signalled the end of its days with 145000 miles under its belt.
The scrapyard paid me £75 for it when I reluctantly had to let it go.

Roger.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
1985 Ford F150 4/4 300 strait 6 4spd manual. Got truck with 110k miles drove it around for yrs beat the snot out of it and Drove it to junkyard with 318k miles on the clock. Simply got tired of trying to kill it truck would not die and ran like a brand new truck. Man I wish i still had it today. Young and dumb is my only answer to y i got rid of it.

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
chevy2480 said:
1985 Ford F150 4/4 300 strait 6 4spd manual. Got truck with 110k miles drove it around for yrs beat the snot out of it and Drove it to junkyard with 318k miles on the clock. Simply got tired of trying to kill it truck would not die and ran like a brand new truck. Man I wish i still had it today. Young and dumb is my only answer to y i got rid of it.

I don't know why 300 straights are like that. Must be the configuration as Chevy 292's run forever and 225 Mopar slant's can run with sand in the crankcase...

With that being said, mine was a '69 Chevy C10 with 190k on it. Running when it finally bent the rear trailing arms after they rusted apart.

Dr. Rudy

Greasemonkey
Mar 19, 2011
Pennsylvania
Before I had my license we had an 87 Subaru wagon. pre awd so it had a 4x4 hi/lo shifter next to the 5spd. Slow as all hell and needed a rebuild basically but it just wouldnt die. two full summers of a 15 year old beatin the balls off of it in the field and it just kept goin. The new field truck is a 66 dodge power wagon, but Im kinda trying to take care of it since it has 17k miles.

Best road car I owned was my 87 bmw 325. Again, not a fast car at all, but stuck to the road like glue, got 30mpg highway, and was a total blast. Even had an airborne experience or two in that.....

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
have to say my 97 audi. owned it since 2000. it is my dd and i beat the snot out of it daily. use to drag it (realy slow 16.8@86 mph) and autocross it. has been very good to me it has a little over 200k on the odo and no sign of slowing down.

allpic006-1.jpg

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Hard to say really, so here's my three best, in no particular order.

The malibu, has been a phenominal vehicle chassis wise, couple years ago I removed the factory rotors (cheaper for new than to turn), shocks, and drag link, the only other things on the chassis I've changed were the body mounts. Not bad for 25+ year old car. Engine and transmission are another story, lol.

Even though it isn't mine, my gf's 81 AMC Eagle SX/4 is astonishing, that car sat dormant for 15 years under a pine tree, before me doing nothing more than hooking a jerry can and a battery to it, fired right up. Did a carb rebuild, tune up, few gaskets/seals, front brake rotors, a clutch, few other minor things and that car is back to daily driver status (it recieved a paint job too, lol). We take it on our long trips just because it runs and drives so well, I was so impressed with it, it sparked me to find one of my own, only I got the more practical 4dr version as opposed to the "spirit" type of my gf's that tends to be a little cramped (I haven't had time to even touch it yet though).

My 97 cherokee that I just put to rest recently, that jeep took more abuse than any other vehicle I've ever owned, the reason I put it to rest was because it was unsafe to drive due to rot (the roof oil canned when I hit a bump :shock: ). The engine found its way into my 88 cherokee that replaced it though, 200k and still runs like a champ.

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
out of the 5 cars ive owned , id have to say my 86 olds and my 89 honda accord were the best. My old never let me down, she always starts right up, my honda is my daily driver. Besides doing basic maintenance on both of them i never really had an issue.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
1989 Firebird Formula 305 TBI 700R4 black on black with t-tops

Great car :!: Purchased it in 2004 with 68,000 miles and loved it for almost 3 years (a few fender benders and an engine swap that we gave up on for some reason) I would drive the car home from Langley AFB to MI and get 26mpg at 70-90mph. It loved the highway with its 2.73 rear gear. I actually pulled away from my buddies 1989 GTA in a race one night :twisted: He had CHRIS.O with him and I was alone but that 5.7L TPI should not have let my little 'ole 305 TBI pass it. I started pulling back up to him around 90mph and was inching by him at about 105-110mph :mrgreen:

melman109

Royal Smart Person
Apr 22, 2008
Arizona
My 87 elco!!

Parting her out was the worse decision I have ever made

Attachments

• 3491018074_fd95c15b48_z.jpg
    3491018074_fd95c15b48_z.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 831
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor