Whats the best carb for my Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
'Nother vote for Qjet. G through Quadrajet Power or Everyday Performance or SeanMurphyInduction and get a qjet. Or, get one off a a big block chevy at the junkyard (or any chevy really) and try your hand at rebuilding one. New jets, primary and secondary rods, replace/epoxy the well plugs, and you'd be good to go for a driver.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Another option is a Street Demon 750 cfm. It is heavily based on the Thermoquad with the problem areas removed and all new 3 barrel castings. There is also an Aerospace polymer body option and complete tuning kits available as well as the proper bracket for 2004R/700R4 trans. Any properly set up 750 should work fine on a 400 HP 400 ci engine. If you don't have a good Qjet core, the price will be a wash between a Street Demon and a custom Qjet. I had a good 800 cfm core, so I went with a QJet from Everyday Performance, saved me a few bucks.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
FiTech fuel injection. Or something similiar from Holley.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
All the divisions of GM put quadrajets on their cars and trucks from the mid 60's to the late 80's. Many of our G bodies are running on the same quadrajet that was put on their car around 3 decades ago so I don't see how there can be any question as to the best carb for the Monte Carlo. A car manufacturer would not use any product that ended up back at the dealership for warranty work and they kept installing the quadrajet so to me that speaks to the dependability of the quadrajet. How many of us put in a Ford or a Chrysler engine if our Chevy, Buick, Pontiac or Olds engine isn't working right.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Quadrajet Power

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 20, 2016
Waring, TX
All the divisions of GM put quadrajets on their cars and trucks from the mid 60's to the late 80's. Many of our G bodies are running on the same quadrajet that was put on their car around 3 decades ago so I don't see how there can be any question as to the best carb for the Monte Carlo. A car manufacturer would not use any product that ended up back at the dealership for warranty work and they kept installing the quadrajet so to me that speaks to the dependability of the quadrajet. How many of us put in a Ford or a Chrysler engine if our Chevy, Buick, Pontiac or Olds engine isn't working right.

Well stated! The poor Quadrajet just doesn't get the respect it has earned.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
I've actually seen ford guys use quadrajets to replace their stock carb lol

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I've actually seen ford guys use quadrajets to replace their stock carb lol
If I remember, 428 and 429 CJ motors used quadrajets. And Mopar used them on the 360s in trucks in the late 70s and throughout the 1980s.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
There is an unsettling amount of misinformation about Quadrajets and it really bugs me. Still to this day when the subject of quadrajets pops up.,every older shade tree mechanic, old racer, or what not I talk to just plain hates these carbs for no good reason. "Quadrajunk. Quadrapuke." I think it's because they opened it up, saw inside and just decided it wasn't worth their time or were intimidated, or simply just botched one too many "rebuilds" and got it in their head they were all junk. They aren't anymore complicated than any other carb. Just get one for your engine, Chevy, BOP, etc, and go from there. The only downfalls of these carbs are the well plugs, which now several companies make screw in replacements for. For example. I had two qjets, both exactly the same, 17058241, both for a 1978 Buick 350. One was a factory stock used and abused high mileage unit and the other was rebuilt very well by everyday performance. Well, carb #2 broke (my fault) and I bought carb #1. Carb #1 ran like *ss because of the well plugs leaked so bad after 10 minutes of the engine being off the fuel bowl was bone dry. I swapped the main body of #2 into #1 and poof. Problems gone. Starts everytime, idles great, pulls great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor