Whats the best place for front speakers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

postalrm88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2010
Western NY

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
gbondo57 said:
Axisg, Saw your pic. No parking brake pedal, or is it camoflaged? If not, it might work.

I have the parking brake pedal there, it's just not hooked up since the rear disk install ( which is another project for this year )
After mulling this over most of the winter I figure I will try my hand at fibreglassing my own rings into a pair of stock kicker panels to get the desired effect I want. Just need to settle on the speakers now so I know how deep to make the enclosure. There is room on the PS with the computer removed but the DS will be tight

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I still have not tackled the front speakers but I am finishing up on the speaker box in the trunk.
I wanted to mount the 2x10's that I kept from the old system in a sealed box with divider. There is only 9.5" clearance under the trunk support rods and 42" between the trunk arms so I built a box to fit in-between with the subs firing up ( only way they would fit ). So I end up with 12" depth at the top and 13" depth at the bottom ( to allow for the angle of the rear seatback ) which results in just a hair over 1cu/ft per speaker in the enclosure.

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

I made a drop down door so I could cleanly mount the amplifiers out side and keep the mess of wires, crossover, power distribution blocks out of sight. It is also the full height of the area from the trunk floor the box is mounted to right up to the drip edge. This gives me more room to mount the amps and hides the 10" speakers from view

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

No finished pics with the box in the car yet but it thumps pretty good with an annoying trunk trim rattle that I am trying to chase down. The only downfall to my design is that I didn't take the spare tire angle into account and the tray won't drop down fully with the spare tire in place.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I had the same problem with too much bass and sound from the rear of the car but hardly any from up front. So I put these 5 1/4 Polk Audio speakers up front in the door panel. I already had a 4 inch speaker hole there so i just made them bigger but i had to bump it out a little so it didn't hit the cross brace for the power window track. Now it's loud and in my face
IMG_0207-1.jpg

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I also disconnected the two speakers in the dash on the left and right because they are a b*tch to get at or change. But I did utilize the center speaker in the dash, I bought a adapter plate to change from a 4x10 to two 3.5's and just powered them from my deck and no amp and they add a little front stage bouncing off the windshield and back to your ears.

grimreper912003

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2012
From my history with car audio (about 4 years deep into it - way too much money spent) it looks like the previous system was an attempt at infinite baffle set up. ( http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/sys ... affle.html ) great for sound quality. if you are looking for a well balanced system you could use that as a base. I would recommend a 3 way set up ran active (5.25" or 6.5" in the kick, 4" in the dash and a set of nice tweeters). Look around on madisound.com and partsexpress.com for mids that would fit well. If you run a 3 way active you will need either the correct amps with the rihgt crossovers, an external crossover or a head unit that has the correct crossovers.

As far as the sub its really all up to you. Personally I prefer low tuned ported boxes as opposed to sealed or IB set ups. Stay away from the main stream brands as much as you can. They do make decent equipment but better can be had for less. I dont know how experienced you are in car audio so here are some well preforming brands I know of:

Fi Audio (ficaraudio.com)
Sundown Audio (sundownaudio.com)
Stereo Integrity (www.stereointegrity.com)
Incriminator Audio (www.incrminatoraudio.com)
Obsidian Audio - Produced by owner of Sundown and Stereo Integrity, more budget minded (www.obsidiancaraudio.com)

Feel free to PM me if you need any help with car audio.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Best place for tweeters is up high but that's typically packaging issue so the kick panels are the next best place.

Just remember that high tones are very directional so the tweeters need to be aimed towards your head. Bass frequencies are the opposite and don't require such precision.

That's why in a home theater system you can have a sub put anywhere in the room but the higher frequency speakers are aimed directly at you.

I'm with you though. When I was young I was always trying to go for more bass. Never spent a lot of money doing it but the dual 10" sub bandpass box was more than enough to over power any replacement speaker I had inside of the car.

With my recent build I did away with the dash speakers and rear deck speakers. Added just (1) 10" sealed box sub in the trunk and then (1) 1" tweeter, (1) 4" mid-bass, (1) 6.5" woofer and (1) 5.25" coaxial speaker in each door panel.

I have a JBL amp for each door panel and then a mono-amp for the sub. This is by far the best system I've ever had in the car. The bass hits harder than the previous subs but from inside the car it just sounds extremely well rounded.

ATLMonte88

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2012
ATL, Georgia
nice place for tweeters- connect them on the sun visor mount, had mine there for years and it sounds great... sadly in our cars there is no "best place" for front speakers, the ones in the dash are poorly placed, kick pannels put sound at your feet and it gets droned out. the ideal situation is to make & fiberglass some enclosures for speakers and place them on the dash pointing torwards you... btw, im not sure if those amps in your old set up are PPI (precision power) but if so dont toss them! lots of audio junkies pay good money for those "art" series amps.. link of a ppi art amp below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Power ... 19cfe35959

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
Ive had good luck with audiobahn speakers and amps ,and i used to have a sound off car way back in the day that ran 2 15in special order kickers and a bridged mtx amp that ran 1800 watts just to the 15's and i think the autobahn aas just as good speakers and amp as the stuff i used to have .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor