What's your most 'ghetto-rigged' repair/mod on your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
My old Cutlass.....When I bought it, there was a c-clamp on the wiper motor, I had no clue why it was there, didn't seem to be holding anything, motor was bolted in correctly, so one day I decided to remove it. The next day it rained and I had no wipers :x , couldn't figure out why, they worked a couple weeks ago. Then I remembered that stupid c-clamp, that I had removed, put it back where it was and I had wipers again, lol. I guess installing a ground strap was too much effort :rofl: .

pontiacman469

Master Mechanic
Jul 18, 2008
Bangor,Maine
My cousin needed a sticker on his subaru the rear fenders were rusted so he used that spray expanding foam for your house cut down painted it..worked.Used a clothes pin for the quadrabog choke more times than i can count.welding spider gears for posi. :roll:

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
madmaxstyle said:
soup can and hose clamps to hold the exhaust together was my favorite before I had it welded solid.
Can't even remember how many times I did that to my first car, a 91 Geo Prizm hatchback. Never actually got it fixed. The trans blew up before I had the chance.
pontiacman469 said:
My cousin needed a sticker on his subaru the rear fenders were rusted so he used that spray expanding foam for your house cut down painted it..worked.
Did that on an old S10 Blazer to pass inspection...then never got it inspected...

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I swapped out my front swaybar for an F41 one. Broke one of the endlinks in half and didnt get spares so I went to the hardware store and bought a bolt. Have about 10 nuts as spacers between the bushings. Still havnt got around to ordering them new endlinks.

The previous owner of my car wanted black carpet instead of the faded green so he just took a normal can of black spraypaint at the thing. He also stuck the 2 1/4" exhaust coming out the manifold of the 455 into a 90 degree bend 2 1/2 into the stock 2 1/4 single exhaust. No reducers or clamps, just kinda sitting there.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
Was offroading in my baja bug with a friend when the windshield wiper motor broke. Took my shoe laces off and tied one to one wiper and the other to the other wiper arm. Anytime we went through a puddle, my buddy would work the wipers with the shoe strings. I can't take credit for the idea though, saw it on America's Funniest Video's.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
my zip tie plug wire separators. they actually cleaned up the engine really nicely. i saw it on tv somewhere. look close and you can see them:

normal_engine1.jpg

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
well where to start.. we'll go front to back on this one. the grille is held on with zip ties, the trans cooler is held up with house electrical wire, the radiator fan is hooked up to a switch that goes over the guage cluster, the horn button is where the parking brake release used to be theres random wires under the hood that do nothing. the windsheild and rear glass trim are all held in with window sealer, the exhaust was held up by clothes wire hangers, the trans x member has a cutout for dual exhaust,
l_12a0270ac2324162a0846246ba1fd884.jpg
theres a bolt missing from the trans x member to the trans, theres no windsheild wiper motor, all the wires that went to it were painted black, the passenger side b-pillar is bent out, the drivers seat has an ash tray on the back, the wire harnis to the rear lights is held up by a leather shoelace, the brake lights dont work so i flash my hazards when stopping, there are no tailgate support wires, and thats all i can think of so far.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
several years ago, I had a buddy with an 84 camaro... on the way to work one day, his accel cable decided to snap and he used the tried and true string from the linkage-under the hood-through the window method of driving for a few days... we ended up finding some weed eater trimming line that was small enough to fit in the sheathn and tied 2 washers to the ends... worked like a charm with only a small amount of slop in the tension... he drove it another 2 years like that, and it was still holding when he sold it...

86Olds442

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
So this is not from my Cutlass, and it was years ago, but I had an 83 Mercury Lynx and was 50 miles or so from home when a bolt snapped holding the upper motor mount together, so the engine ended up leaning against the fender. the only thing I had on me to help was my jack, and a roll of duct tape. I jacked up the engine and wrapped so much duct tape around that thing it made it home and then some. I still remember smelling that tape melting the whole time driving it. Of course it was in the middle of winter too!

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
85montemj said:
my zip tie plug wire separators. they actually cleaned up the engine really nicely. i saw it on tv somewhere. look close and you can see them:

normal_engine1.jpg
They match your zip-tie heater hose holders! very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor