Where Can I Find A Shop Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I am looking for a factory Gm manual for my 86 Cutlass Supreme, they seem to be around 50 bucks on Ebay, I was thinking though alot of people sell those Cd's for the computer that have the Gm manuals on them. But I cant find any on there is there somewhere I can find one?

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
those big brown or green ones on ebay are the best ones to get. I have one i bought at a swap meet for $30, covers mostly everything electrical, mechanical and body trim and steel (fenders,bumpers).

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Minion1186 said:
those big brown or green ones on ebay are the best ones to get.
:?: :?: :?:

"Brown or green"???

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but my 1986 Olds Chassis Service Manual is grey and covers the RWD cars (Cutlass Supreme and Custom Cruiser) only. You also need a Fisher Body Manual for the same year (blue for 1986). Keep looking on ebay. I got mine for about $15 each. Note that in prior years, the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual was a separate volume, but for 86 the wiring data is included in the CSM.

OK here's an update. I just checked ebay and there are at least half a dozen 1986 CSMs, with prices starting at $16.95. 86 Fisher Body manuals start at $10. One vendor is selling the CSM, body manual, AND a CSM for the FWD full size cars all for $29. It took me about 30 seconds to find these using Advanced Search.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I already have the fisher body manual bought it for 99 cents from the Paramus Public Library. I don't know what I did wrong but I couldn't find Chassis service manuals for under 35 bucks. Ill try advanced search, what were you typing in I just did "1986 Cutlass Supreme Shop Manual"?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
86cutlassrules said:
I already have the fisher body manual bought it for 99 cents from the Paramus Public Library. I don't know what I did wrong but I couldn't find Chassis service manuals for under 35 bucks. Ill try advanced search, what were you typing in I just did "1986 Cutlass Supreme Shop Manual"?

I just use this search:

olds* manual (1986,86)

Be aware that there are different manuals for nearly every car line in 1986, so be sure you're getting the one that only covers Cutlass Supreme and Custom Cruiser (the RWD cars).

stallings.sean

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2010
windsor, OH
I just got my haynes manual from amazon.com for .78 plus shipping. Im not sure if thats what your looking for but not a bad deal.
I have a 78 olds cutlass supreme so they should be the same book.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I'm looking for more of the Gm manual, I already have the Haynes, and Chiltons manuals for the car. I'm hoping the GM manual will have more info on the Computer Command Control System, how it works/doesn't, maybe info on the advance curve, tests to make sure everything is working as intended, vacuum diagrams, and hooking up a gauge to the transmission to set the TV cable 100% accurate. Once I figure this stuff out maybe I can sort my cars issues out, and in tern be able to help out a little more on the board.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
86cutlassrules said:
I'm looking for more of the Gm manual, I already have the Haynes, and Chiltons manuals for the car. I'm hoping the GM manual will have more info on the Computer Command Control System, how it works/doesn't, maybe info on the advance curve, tests to make sure everything is working as intended, vacuum diagrams, and hooking up a gauge to the transmission to set the TV cable 100% accurate.

The factory manuals do have this info. Haynes, Chilton, etc are a complete waste of money. Every time I get an aftermarket manual, I end up throwing it away and getting a factory one.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
joe_padavano said:
The factory manuals do have this info. Haynes, Chilton, etc are a complete waste of money. Every time I get an aftermarket manual, I end up throwing it away and getting a factory one.

I agree Joe, Haynes & Chilton are really not for using, just for if you're thinking about working on a vehicle but not actually going to do anything other than change oil, transmission fluids, coolant. Got a Chilton for my truck but eventually picked up the 3-volume GM set off eBay for $30.

86Cutlass,
I was able to find my '86 Manual (gray) for $5 locally on cragslist a couple years back, complete & in great shape. Guy & his dad were selling them for $5 each - wish I would bought some of the other years :x . As Joe said, they're out there you just got to look and put in the right search parameters. I'm gotta pick up the Fisher Body manual next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor