Where is the new blood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Great discussion in this thread. I'm 26 and personally think that people around my age and younger don't get into the hobbies of cars because it's a challange. You can't just get a car, work on it, and have everything go smoothly. There's always going to be problems, issues, critical thinking and physical labor to be done. My dad taught me to change oil and do general maintenance stuff when I got my license and thats it. Fast forward till me being 23 and I wanted a car to work on and learn. I always liked the G Body looks and decided on that. I have learned so much the last couples years of owning my car its amazing. I take pride in working on my car and learning as I go. I never would of thought I'd actually attempt to do a frame off but my addiction of learning and challenging myself took over. I hope that If I ever finish the car and someone bashes it I can look them in the eye and say I've touched every nut and bolt on it, how much did you pay to have someone build yours? I also love the smell of the Carbureted cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

'79 Lemans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2016
In Winnipeg we have 2 groups for Sunday night cruise the older guys like me go to one location there are about 80 of us mostly 60 's to late 70's cars and the younger kids go to the Ikea later on a Sunday and they are mostly Tuners lots of 2000 Hondas and bikes are there but they get almost 200 cars

That's too Funny! I'm from Wpg originally cruised back in the early to mid 90's, Then it was the 60-80's cars and the old 30-40's hot rods. Tuners where just starting to show up.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Great discussion in this thread. I'm 26 and personally think that people around my age and younger don't get into the hobbies of cars because it's a challange. You can't just get a car, work on it, and have everything go smoothly. There's always going to be problems, issues, critical thinking and physical labor to be done. My dad taught me to change oil and do general maintenance stuff when I got my license and thats it. Fast forward till me being 23 and I wanted a car to work on and learn. I always liked the G Body looks and decided on that. I have learned so much the last couples years of owning my car its amazing. I take pride in working on my car and learning as I go. I never would of thought I'd actually attempt to do a frame off but my addiction of learning and challenging myself took over. I hope that If I ever finish the car and someone bashes it I can look them in the eye and say I've touched every nut and bolt on it, how much did you pay to have someone build yours? I also love the smell of the Carbureted cars.
I'm in a somewhat similar boat as you. Growing up with my parents being gearheads and my dad being a mechanic i learned early on typical maintenance stuff and was able to help do some engine swaps in my early teens. I bought my cutlass at 17 (33 now) and began tinkering with the 307. At 19 i did the first swap pulling the 307 and putting in a 350 sbc because thats what i knew! My dad wouldn't help because he wanted to see if i could do it with just my buddies helping. The instant pride and gratification achieved was awesome when my dad grinned ear to ear after hearing it running with open headers! I've since pulled that same engine many times for stupid stuff until it finally died last year. However, doing the current resto on it i can also say I've literally touched every nut, bolt, etc on that dang car and it might not be a $100k hotrod when done.....it's mine, i built not bought it, and have respect for anyone that does the same whether it be a tuner car, classic, etc!!!!
I too love the smell of true muscle cars, even mine being EFI it has that natural muscle car smell and no import can come close with their fart cans lol!!!!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I see a common thread here. Looks like guys who had Dads, Uncles, Grandpas, or any other male authority figure to show or make them learn, did learn and prosper. Not saying you can't get into it on your own. But it sure helped me a lot by having to do maintenance on my Parents cars. That led to hot rodding and a life of endless motor vehicle problems. What a "hobby" !?!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I see a common thread here. Looks like guys who had Dads, Uncles, Grandpas, or any other male authority figure to show or make them learn, did learn and prosper. Not saying you can't get into it on your own. But it sure helped me a lot by having to do maintenance on my Parents cars. That led to hot rodding and a life of endless motor vehicle problems. What a "hobby" !?!

I'm an exception to that. My dad just works his *ss off running his construction company. I got interested in cars when I turned 16 and proceeded to learn how to work on them from one of my older friends. Granted, he got his interest and initial ability from working on cars with his dad. I'm glad I did as it was at that time that I realized how much freedom and pride you can get from being self-reliant.

Reactions: 2 users

86GP2+2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2015
Louisville, KY
I have noticed where I live, the older guys tend to rule the roost on the car show scene. I go to a lot of shows, and I don't have a nice car, but I still take what I have. I am currently starting an engine deal from a 305 to a 467 Pontiac motor. It seems like the older guys don't respect the younger guys, and sometimes tend to scare them off. I am a professional mechanic, and I don't just do it for a living. I love cars, I always have, as long as I can remember. I didn't get it from my dad, but my grandfather owned a Dodge dealership. I wish there were more guys my age doing what my friends and I do with the later model cars. We tend to feel out of place at these "traditional" car shows. I'm 38 and I'm always going to be messing around with cars. I have noticed, like some people previously mentioned, that there aren't as many people that are willing to get dirty and cut up working under the hood. I don't know where all this is leading, but I hope the culture doesn't go away. It seems like finding parts is getting easier, but you have to wonder what will happen when the older generations aren't here anymore to keep the car shows alive.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
18 years old and still have my Regal I got in 2014. I built the motor myself, and the SOB will scream upto 6 grand. 4,500 miles later it loves it and other than carb issues (needs a rebuild kit) it runs perfectly fine.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
As mentioned previously, anyone can buy something, but not everyone can build it themselves!!!!! I refer to it as pride and not scared to make a mistake - live and learn.

Mr. Sony, wish I was 18, but working on 'the car' makes me feel 18.

You don't need a reason to be a car person/gear head, but rather you need some desire and iniative.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The majority of my mechanical training was just pulling it apart and trying to put it back together again. I managed to learn before I hurt myself (badly). 100% agreement with the 'touched every bolt' statement. That is how I can offer technical details while sitting at the keyboard.
My Dad's idea of car work was bending the mailbox pole straight again (snowplow) by easing up to it with the bumper and a foot on each pedal. Now we know what 5mph bumpers are for...

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
As mentioned previously, anyone can buy something, but not everyone can build it themselves!!!!! I refer to it as pride and not scared to make a mistake - live and learn.

Mr. Sony, wish I was 18, but working on 'the car' makes me feel 18.

You don't need a reason to be a car person/gear head, but rather you need some desire and iniative.

Hell working on my car makes me feel 81. Scoliosis is a b*tch. But, at least it'd mild enough to not notice or really affect me unless I lay on a hard (concrete/pavement) or irregular surface for a while. But regardless I love it and something as small as installing the damn dipstick I finally found makes it all worthwhile. Crack open a cold Pepsi and stare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor