Which carburetor

Apr 15, 2022
Need to replace my carb in a 1984 Old Supreme with a 3.8 6 cyl. Of course, I want the best for my baby; so would it be an upgrade to put an Edelbrock in it? Or would it be waste of energy and money and just put a stock?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Have the stock original carb rebuilt by a competent rebuilder. Do not exchange your original carb torwards a reman carb. Putting a 4bbl on a 3.8 doesn't do much. To get more power with a V6 G body you either turbo it or swap in a V8.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
X2. Nothing as good as the carb it left the factory with. Just get a GOOD re-build and carry on.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Generally speaking, I think going with an Edelbrock carb is usually a cheese-whiz move. People think a Q-jet is a pita? I think tweaking E-brocks are a huge PITA. They never seem to run right, and I truly think it has somethin to do with the final machining. JMO. There may be some people that can tweak them to perfection, but they're like unicorns. MANY people have complained about the E-brocks. I even had one on a BBC and that thing was such a POS I replaced it with a Holley. And I'm not a big fan of Holleys.

Get YOUR carb rebuilt by a good rebuilder. Don't trade it in because these dough-diks consolidate part numbers all the time and you may get a half-azz rebuilt unit that never even was meant for your car. If the carb is the issue, a good rebuild will make you happy.

Reactions: 1 user

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
+1 for keeping the Q-jet, although rather than rebuild mine, I chose to buy a properly rebuilt one. I used Guaranteed Carburetors:

https://guaranteedcarburetors.com/-6-Cylinder-2-Barrel-Carburetor-Oldsmobile_c_83.html

Looks like they have a few available. They'll help you choose the right one. Or if you prefer, they'll rebuild yours. When I used them, they were professional and responsive to questions I had. And I have no issues with their carb - it worked properly, right away.

If you do decide to rebuild your own, I recommend this book by Ken @ Everyday Performance:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578985039/?tag=gbody-20

It's all 4-barrel I think, but the 2-barrel procedures are very similar. They might also still sell rebuilt carbs but they'll probably have less available, & maybe not what you need.

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
If you are still running the original computer controlled system you need to have a computer controlled carb ..get yours rebuilt

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor