which g-body

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdpearson13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
iraq
hello everyone I am pretty set on getting a gbody when i get back. i have a few questions.

1 i will have about 3 to 4 thou to purchase one. I dont want no rust on frame and very min in other areas. dont care if its painted or not. needs to run decently. I would like one that is unique. which one do you sujust and how hard is it to find. 78-81 regal sport coupe. 80 -81 turbo monte carlo. an aree coupe gp or monte. 79 hurst. 80 442. 78-80grand am. 2dr 8cyl malibu. 88 cutlass classic or a gp with a 400 in it with posi( just think that would be neet). any other sugestion.?

2 is the 78-81 lesabre considered a g-body?

thank you

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
The, "sporty," models of G bodies such as Monte Carlo SS, 442's, Hurst/Olds, GN Regals, etc, although unique are actually quite easy to find, but tend to run in the $6000-10k price range if in excellent condition.

Best bet for a truly unique and affordable G body? A 78 or 79 Grand Am IMHO. (These were actually called "A" bodies for those two model years, but they are basically the same car as the 80-87 G bodies.)

You don't need to have the sportiest model of one of these cars anymore to have a lot of fun with them. Hardly a day goes by where I don't get the thumbs up from someone when driving my totally stock 78 LeMans sedan, YES, 4 door LOL! I've owned my share of A/G coupes, most recently a '78 Cutlass and an '85 Grand Prix. What I don't like with the coupes is the doors are big and heavy, and tend to wear their hinges down to where the doors will sag. And as there is no frame on the doors for the window, the sagging effects the weather seal and alignment of the window with the seal. As I like to use all my cars as regular drivers and not garage/trailer queens, I have more or less given up on the coupe models of these cars, now preferring the sedan and wagon models which can be come by cheaply.

-Mark-

hdpearson13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
iraq
tank you i also have just been looking at 78-80 el caminos online i like bench seats and the two tone paint that would be nice for hauling the bikes. i have a 93 thunderbird lx and an 04 drz400 s that i would trade but not being back in the states yet it hard for me to sell them or trade them. I like bench seats. I havent seen many grand ams online but i do like that idea thank you

ryanelco

Apprentice
May 9, 2007
go for a 78-87 el camino, and the the ss monte front fascia on it. they are different, and done up the right way are sick looking cars.

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
I totally agree with Uncletruck. A stock looking 4 door or wagon would make a killer sleeper as well.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
ryanelco said:
go for a 78-87 el camino, and the the ss monte front fascia on it. they are different, and done up the right way are sick looking cars.

The Monte SS nose doesn't fit on the El Caminos. You would need to find a Choo-Choo Camino nose.

hdpearson13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 25, 2007
iraq
thanks again the more i keep looking i think the best looking ones are the two tone brown and white with the brown leather bench seats with a 350 in i have seen 2 like this and i just emailed a dealer about this one on craigslist that close to ft bragg back home but havent heard back yet whats your opinion on this one.http://raleigh.craigslist.org/car/310913722.html

1979hurst

Apprentice
Sep 4, 2006
milford, Nebraska
i think is the rare one on your list is the 80 442 they made less than 1500 of them and they are really hard to find

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor