Which speakers will fit in the stock location? Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Hey everyone, i was looking at upgrading the stock speakers in my car, prefer the front ones for now. I think they are 3.5" in the dash. I dont want to put bigger speakers in, i just want to keep it all stock but with new speakers. I was looking at the JBL 3.5" 2 way speakers. Has anyone ever used these, does anyone know if they will fit properly without any modifications being done? www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/3-1-2-spe ... 3a816aen01 Here are the speakers. As for the rear i want to keep them 4x10, so does anyone know any good brand for that? Only one i can find is kicker. Thanks!

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
Re: Which speakers will fit in the stock location? Monte Car

When I put new speakers in my '86 Monte, the fronts were a BITC* to say the least. Just throw a set of good 6x9's in the back using the 4x10 to 6x9 conversion brackets and call it a day. Attached is a link, not sure if it's the cheapest so shop around.
http://www.mikesmontes.com/Monte-Carlo- ... _p_21.html

Cory

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario

Blue86Monte said:
When I put new speakers in my '86 Monte, the fronts were a BITC* to say the least. Just throw a set of good 6x9's in the back using the 4x10 to 6x9 conversion brackets and call it a day. Attached is a link, not sure if it's the cheapest so shop around.
http://www.mikesmontes.com/Monte-Carlo- ... _p_21.html

Cory

Well I don't really want to put 6x9s in the back, like I said I just want to keep the stock sizes. What speakers did u put in the front?

Reactions: 1 user

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD

Kenwood KFC 415-C. Got these 4x10's for my Suburban last fall. Sound good for a 4x10. I put 6x9's in my Cutlass, much better sound than the 4x10. I put a set of Pioneer 3.5's in the dash of my Cutlass with bass blockers. Sound fine, but not many options there unless you put in those aftermarket kick panels.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS

The only brand I could find was Kicker in 4x10. After I hooked them up, a friend who worked at an install shop told me that 5x7 will fit, you just have to bend the metal supports a little.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario

outsider_27 said:
Kenwood KFC 415-C. Got these 4x10's for my Suburban last fall. Sound good for a 4x10. I put 6x9's in my Cutlass, much better sound than the 4x10. I put a set of Pioneer 3.5's in the dash of my Cutlass with bass blockers. Sound fine, but not many options there unless you put in those aftermarket kick panels.

Did the 3.5s fit without modifications? And yea the only 4x10 i can find that is sold in store is kicker, for over 100$!!!!!! Also how would i install bass blockers on the front speakers? I wanted to do that aswell.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD

The 3.5 is a direct swap for factory in the dash, so no problem to install. Bass blockers would be installed on the power wire prior to the plug on the speaker. My Kenwoods I got from Amazon at a very good price, you can get them now for $49.99 plus shipping and they sound pretty good for a 4x10.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario

outsider_27 said:
The 3.5 is a direct swap for factory in the dash, so no problem to install. Bass blockers would be installed on the power wire prior to the plug on the speaker. My Kenwoods I got from Amazon at a very good price, you can get them now for $49.99 plus shipping and they sound pretty good for a 4x10.

Oh wow thats not bad at all! Well the 4 x10s actually sound amazing for being stock. Ive had people comment on if i had subs haha! All i did was install the radio from an 87 SS and it just woke the back speakers up. But i really want to replace the 3.5s and put bass blockers on. Which model were the 3.5s?

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD

I don't remember what model the Pioneers are, I got them off ebay a few years ago. That was the cheapest price on them and had free shipping. May not get free shipping, but checking ebay or amazon wouldn't hurt. Just do a search for Pioneer 3.5" speakers.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS

outsider_27 said:
The 3.5 is a direct swap for factory in the dash, so no problem to install.

I've been wanting to upgrade the 3.5s and this thread kinda boosted my motivation. But upon shopping around, all the good speakers seem to have the tweeter extending from the cone quite a ways. So, while they will fit no problem, you might not be able to use the factory grill that snaps in place. fyi

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor