which transmission to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Run the th350 with the 700-r4 first gear in the th350 case. Put 3.23 or 3.42 in the axle but you need a strong engine if you plan on running it at the track.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
stick with the 200-4r, but see if you can find a GN, 442, or monte SS version in good shape. and make sure you adjust the TV cable correctly!!!!!!!!!!!! i can not stress that more. the 200-4r got a bad rap mostly due to people not doing it right.
if you go with a 700, which statistically had MORE issues than the 200-4r when stock, the acceleration will be great in first gear and then DIE. there's a huge gap between 1st and second, the 200-4r is much closer. the 200-4r also has a better overdrive.
(BTW the 350 is a great trans, but it's not worth it to swap over to one and lose overdrive, unless you're on the strip)

and like somebody up there^ said, a well built 200 isn't much money. if you get a 350 or a 700, you just sunk in a bunch of money. what if the trans is bad? (i'm assuming you get a cheap trans--it's what most people do) now you need a $1000-2500 rebuild anyway! it's more cost effective to get a well built 200-4r and not have to change anything.
and let's remember the 200-4r was used in the GN, GNX and there are a number running 9's! (modded of course)
if you do a search you'll find this argument hashed out MANY MANY MANY MANY times.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
larryo454 said:
Run the th350 with the 700-r4 first gear in the th350 case. Put 3.23 or 3.42 in the axle but you need a strong engine if you plan on running it at the track.

That's a horrible idea. The gear spread between 1st and 2nd is bad enough in a 700r4. If you used the first gear of a 700r4 with the second gear of a th350 the gear spread would be even greater.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
2004r no doubt. Honestly in todays day and age of upgrade parts and easy net availability theres ZERO reason to run a 3 speed.

Any th350 is going to be built anyway to handle decent power so its not like you can even take it out of the box and be ahead of a 2004r

The only place that th350 and 400s have a place anymore is in a strip dedicated car or tow rigs

Jacobskeeper

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2010
thanks for all your answers guys. i think ill do a little more research, i have the time as this is a work in progress. i just bought a posi rear end this weekend so i get to change that out this weekend coming up. im in west palm beach fl, any of you guys know a trusted reliable transmission rebuild shop in the area??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor