Why did you get a Gbody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy24g

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2008
Newtown PA
People ask me every now and then why I choose a gbody El Camino to fix up when I could of bought a nova,chevelle,mustang,dodge charger ect... So that got me thinking about why all you guys got a gbody. What interested you all to get one.

Well I always loved the gbody El Camino. I saw one at a car show and knew I wanted one. As I got older I started to learn that they actually can gain more in value if you do fix them up a little. Most muscle cars gain more in value if left stock or close to stock. With gbody El Caminos you can fix them up almost how ever you want and can get a decent return on them. So I was like I want one. Took me a few years and I finally got one. Been fixing it up ever since and it has to be the best car I have driven in.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
The reasoning for me was simply money. Costs to much money to get into the sixty's cars. With the G-body is was an affordable car with affordable parts. Then found the Malibu with no rust and a great car to start with and have loved it ever since. This car will never be sold as far as I am concerned. Now I am just wanting to build another one, need to graduate first though ha.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I have a few reasons.

I've always liked the styling, they aren't huge cars but not compact either, you can drop almost any engine/trans in them that you want, they're still affordable, they're relatively light for rwd cars, and I've had an infatuation with them since I bought my first '79 Malibu in '91 when I started driving. I paid $700 for it too. I've bought quite a few of these over the years with bad engines for next to nothing. In the last ten years or so the popularity picked up and the good deals are getting harder to find.
The only g-body I haven't owned is a GN.

Here I am almost 20 year later and I still love these cars. One of these days I'll track down a black and saddle '87 Aero when I have somewhere to store it.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
It was the cost factor. That and my old man was cheap initially. I traded my broken dirt bike for it with a small bit of cash. Thought it was just going to need a carb. What a wrong assumption that was.

lastscan.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic3.jpg

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
It started out as a Father Son project. I worked on it while the kid kept disappearing to play XBOX. 350 dollar Regal abandoned in the weeds. I had 2 inches of algae growing in some spots.

Now he's a computer engineer and wants to pay me to build him a 70 Chevelle one day. Damn glad he did not want to become an auto mechanic like me..

Attachments

• 100_1269.JPG
    100_1269.JPG
    454.1 KB · Views: 858
  • thumb_100_8090.JPG
    thumb_100_8090.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 865

timberice

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2010
Chicago,Il
I use to be real heavy into mustangs. After buying a 1964 mustang and spending a boat load of cash on it I was just worn out. I loved the car but wanted something a little more modern to work on. Plus a guy offered me a nice amount of money and I couldnt turn that down....right!?! :lol: After looking for a new project I purchased my first Gbody, a 1981 2dr Malibu. Sad to say I sold it but that car started a fire in me. Now eight different Gbodies later I am in love with them. I plan on purchasing at least three more. A Monte Carlo SS,a 78-80 cutlass, and a hurst/Olds if I can find one for a good price. Any for any mustang lovers who are one this site I also am looking for a 71-73 Mach 1 also :D

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I forgot to mention mine was a father son project as well. I was the son out of it of course, and need to give my old man some credit for me being where I'm at in the hobby

gbodydude

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2008
i love the style of g body cars.i had a 87' rusty monte ss and been hook ever since.monte's and cutlass's are my top choices.

SS_Sean

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2009
Cheap
Light weight
Full framed
Two doors
Lots of aftermarket parts
Good body lines
Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor