Why do so many people delete their a/c boxes? Any regrets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why do so many people delete their a/c boxes? Any regret

And personally for me, I kinda like the look of the original boxes where they be non air or a/c. And I tend to think that they arent really in the way.But then again I aint stuffin a big block anything in my ride. My engine has all accessories including a/c compressor and there is still lots of room in the engine bay.

Reactions: gbodytoys

I don't even use the A/C in my daily driver vehicle that has it. I love my empty engine bay :mrgreen:

Seems like the majority or responses have been from those that dont drive their cars daily.

I drove mine daily for a couple years. Drove it as late as December and I worked third. I remeber mornings having to scrape ice on the inside of the window. Still don't regret it.

Reactions: gbodytoys

I deleted the A/C in my '76 Monte in 2004. The freon escaped during the engine swap in 2003 and so I decided rather than convert it to R134, to just get a delete box. I live in Oregon so I'm not too concerned about hot weather since it rains 8 months out of the year and we see 90+ degree days mostly from late-July to late-August.

Lucky for me the previous owner of the 86 GP did the R134 conversion so all I need to do is buy a recharge canister.

Because of the cost to get it back to operating condition. But lately its been cold enough I wish I had heat. Otherwise if its too hot I just roll down the windows.

I really wanted the clean uncluttered look, but did not want just a plain block off plate so I opted for a heat only set up. A/C is not important to me with this car, it won't be a daily driver. Got rid of the power steering and coverted to a manual brake set up to clean things up even more. Have a set of LS1 fans so the engine fan is also gone along with that big shroud. Now if I could only find a way to get rid of the alternator (running it off the diveshaft won't due for a street car) and find a Radio delete plate I'd be even happier.
heaterbox022.jpg

I still say there's going to be a time when guys will be looking for the original airboxes. So guys, don't bust up those airboxes. Keep them on the side along with your A/C parts. Just my humble opinion. :wink:

While we're on the subject of airboxes. Can I easily remove my airbox in order to reseal it and replace the rubber flap without removing the engine? Is there enough clearance to remove it?

Longroof79 said:
I still say there's going to be a time when guys will be looking for the original airboxes. So guys, don't bust up those airboxes. Keep them on the side along with your A/C parts. Just my humble opinion. :wink:

While we're on the subject of airboxes. Can I easily remove my airbox in order to reseal it and replace the rubber flap without removing the engine? Is there enough clearance to remove it?

i agree. PLEASE GUYS, SAVE THE AIRBOX IF REMOVED.
i looked at many a car i would have loved to buy,but boxes were removed and not saved. and everything comes out ALOT easier than it goes back in.

and yes, you can reseal the airbox without removing the engine. very little has to be done to pop the top. i replaced the heater core on my 80 Classic in about 3 hours. its fairly simple. i suggest that if you do pop the top, replace the heater core while you have it open. 35 bucks for a core, and save the trouble later.

I like to be cool in summer and warm in winter, I also like a light brake pedal and easy steering, the extra weight and engine load and minor inconvenience under the hood is worthwhile for me.
If I had a show only car or wanted to go down the strip I might take a different view, but I like American cars for the comfort, space and cushy ride, to get the same thing from a comparable European or Oriental car would cost much more.

Over here American cars offered for sale command significantly higher prices if they have cold air, apart from anything else if the PO has looked after the A/C they have probably kept up with rest of its maintenance.

Roger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor