Wide Trim Window Sweeps Reproduced!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I figured I would post this here too as I know that a lot of people have been trying to find the window sweeps that go with the wide door top trim panels on the Cutlass and Regal doors. I wrote to Steele Rubber Products about them and they say they reproduce them. Here is the E-Mail I got back:

Thanks for checking with Steele Rubber Products. Part 80-0529-57 is the
set that you would re-use your existing exterior molding with.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks again,

Trent Poole
Customer Service Dept./Research
Steele Rubber Products

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Finally! I'm giving the junkyard two more tries because $123.50 is still a lot of money...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It IS a lot of money for 2 pieces of rubber. I am just glad to have the option available to me. I found a set in my pile 'o G body parts that weren't too bad to use and went with them, but I have second set of trims I will rebuild at a later date with these. It is still WAY cheaper than NOS (if you can find them), and still cheaper than the $110 per side the dealer wanted when I checked 10 years ago. Those included the trims, but still. That is a lot of money for a strip of rubber and a piece of aluminum. The next item I want to see reproduced is the Cutlass taillights and the chrome trim for them. Prices for mint ones are ridiculous.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Any idea if these will fit the '78-'80 body styles?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
No, the door tops are a different shape. They may have them though, so you might want to try their site or shoot them an E-Mail if you can't find it. If you do, please post what you find out here for the benefit of everyone as this is an item most of our cars need.

chromemoly4130

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 4, 2009
┌∩┐(○_○)┌∩┐
This must be the Wide Trim you are talking about
IMG_0682.jpg

This is what I have on my regal,so these are the sweeps that I will need to use.......is there a way I can take these wide pieces of trim off so I dont have them attached to my door any longer and maybe use a different set of sweeps or am I just stuck with these annoying hunks of metal ? I am just removing all the trim on the car and havent gotten around to fooling with these but from the way they look.....they hold the sweeps on.

Attachments

• MVC-024S (2).JPG
    MVC-024S (2).JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 247

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I was just curious here and don't really have anything in mind. I was thinking since the trim was wider that it must also be attached with some adhesive...

I'll assume that they're attached the standard way and you just have to rip the inside of the door apart to remove the screws.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The wide aluminum moulding are easy to remove and eliminate.

They are simply stapled to the factory window sweep.
To remove them you have to take the door panel off, and then loosen the lower window stops, so you can roll the window down further into the door. With the window out of the way, you can get to the screws that hold the sweep/trim assembly in place.

There are different window sweeps available that have a thin stainless bead along the edge of it, and were on cars that were not equiped with the wide mouldings from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor