how wide is too wide...thinking sidewall flex at the rear HW Rally II 15s 235/245 60 ???

smed7880

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2010
About to do frame off on her Grand Am. Wondering about tire sidewall flex and rub on the factory rear frame. Factory tire was a 195.

Rear tires are JJ code Rally IIs 14" with 215/70/14 BFGs. There is 1.25 inches between the rear frame rail and the sidewall of the tire. I didnt check front tires before I pulled fenders/engine...doh.

My wife is dead set on the factory Rally IIs (trim ring/old school like her first) so I convinced her to at least upgrade to HW code 15x7 Rally IIs so I can put rear disc brakes on it.

I never pushed her car hard enough carving corners to answer the sidewall rub question. Those 14" BFG's have less than 250 miles on them.

Has anyone run 235/60/15s on HW Rally IIs and had sidewall flex rub at the rear or any rub front or rear? Or, and I really hope this one is a no.....245/60/15 sidewall flex rub or rub anywhere else?

In searching the forum it looks like the front will need a 1/4" spacer to prevent control arm rub. No mention of fender/inner fender rub that I could find.

Factory springs. She wont let me mess with the ride height or rake. Yet...

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Several of us have ran 235/60/15's on 15x7 wheels. I've ran them on '87 Camaro steel rallys wheels on my '81 Monte with the only issue of the front control arms kocking the wheel weights off, back spacing wasn't the same as the old school rally's. The 235/60's cleared everything, never noticed unacceptible flex in the side walls (normal driving.)

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor