Windows keep blowing open on highway

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
so generally when I hit about 50 mph my windows keep blowing outward. I've tried adjusting the glass on the drivers side too see if it would fix it but to no avail.

The sweeps are typical 30 year old dry rotted and the weather stripping is in better shape and still soft but ripped in the corners.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here is an odd thing to check, is anything keeping the door jamb from allowing air the flow thru to reduce interior pressure?

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Here is an odd thing to check, is anything keeping the door jamb from allowing air the flow thru to reduce interior pressure?

Nothing I've seen seems out of place.

I do think it's something to do with interior pressure. I don't have any of climate control hooked up since my swap. Heat/AC. Maybe that's allowing more air flow? But I doubt that's it because it did this before the swap.

Looking closer at the weather stripping it's pretty torn up. Maybe the foam is too soft and doesn't have enough firmness to prevent the windows from blowing open. That with a combination of the sweeps being crap might just allow the windows to blow open.

I think I'll preplace the sweeps and WS to see if that makes a difference.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
If they are getting blow out past the tabs that are there for that specific reason then you have issues. Like the windows aren't going all the way up. With how much mine stick up past the tab I have a hard time thinking that the window could flop out without breaking. First thing I would do is replace all the weatherstripping. Then make sure the windows are adjusted right.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
do your windows need adjustment, they should not be loose to move side to side

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Even the tightest windows blow out eventually. Mine blow out above 140 mph:

wave.jpg

Here is a Youtube video that shows the adjustments.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had the same issues, outer window sweeps and adjusting the windows fixed it, no problems since.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had my 74 GP clocked at 142 mph and I've had my current GP up to 120 mph and no windows blew out. I agree with olds307 and 403 that it can be fixed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor