Wiper Washer Motor Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2017
Circle the Wagons! Sorry, I had to say that:). I have a 1980 Pontiac Grand Lemans Safari wagon in Gambrills, Maryland. I have a seriously wierd wiper motor problem. When I turn on the wiper motor the window wiper washer pump comes on and stays on whenever the wiper motor is on. I don't have to press the switch to turn on the wiper washer, it is on automatically on slow or fast speed and won't stop spraying washer fluid. I tried another used switch off my sons 1980 Pontiac Lemans sedan but I still had the same problem. If anybody know why this is happening or how to fix it, let me know. I don't want to be a parts changer unless I have to be. I could take the intake hose out of the washer bottle but don't want to burn out my washer pump. I don't want to replace the switch or the wiper motor unless I'm sure what the problem is. I don't even know where to get another wiper motor. The brown plug on the front of the motor does nothing, plugged in or unplugged. Not sure what that wiring plug does. The other plug on the side of the motor controls the wiper motor. I have a Haynes manual but the wiring diagrams in it are not very helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_3326.JPG
    IMG_3326.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 327
  • IMG_3322.JPG
    IMG_3322.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 815
  • IMG_3325.JPG
    IMG_3325.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 278
  • IMG_3329.JPG
    IMG_3329.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 306
  • IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_3332.JPG
    IMG_3332.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_3324.JPG
    IMG_3324.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 321

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
from another forum talking about the same issue

"My windshield washers would not turn off so I installed a new Delco wiper switch. The washers would still not turn off. I took the cover off the washer motor and worked the lever on the plastic cam for the washer pump back and forth several times - then the washer worked properly. I installed the old switch and it is still working properly. As a side benefit, the pulse function now works properly - wipers move as long as you hold the switch to the left, stop when you release the switch. "

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
cam won't release on the washer pump. Not a wiring issue

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Those washer pumps were such a poor design. Frankly, I'd eliminate it and install a universal pump with a momentary button. I've never had luck with the old style washer pump.

Welcome aboard. Could you also post some more pics of your Safari wagon? It looks like a nice original car.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I thought those pumps were only ment to last until the third payment was made on the car when new.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Dadio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2017
Those washer pumps were such a poor design. Frankly, I'd eliminate it and install a universal pump with a momentary button. I've never had luck with the old style washer pump.

Welcome aboard. Could you also post some more pics of your Safari wagon? It looks like a nice original car.

Dadio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for the feedback. I will go take a look at that cam. That seems like the problem. Here are several more photos of my wagon and my sons sedan. The other car is my sons 1980 Pontiac Lemans sedan. The roof is too far gone under the vinyl top. I'm not sure if it can be saved. The silver sedan runs good. Both have the 229 cubic inch Chevy built V-6.

Attachments

• IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 252
  • the pontiac 5.jpg
    the pontiac 5.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 224
  • the pontiac2.jpg
    the pontiac2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 255
  • the pontiaac 10.jpg
    the pontiaac 10.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_3247.JPG
    IMG_3247.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_3280.JPG
    IMG_3280.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_3284.JPG
    IMG_3284.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3251.JPG
    IMG_3251.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3278 (1).JPG
    IMG_3278 (1).JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_3274.JPG
    IMG_3274.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 260

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you for taking the time to post pics of both yours and your son's cars. The wagon does appear to be in nice shape. The interior is beautiful. In most cases, the interiors are badly faded and sun burned.

Despite the bad roof on your son's Lemans, how is the overall condition of the car? The roof skin can be replaced. It depends on how involved in the car you want to become.. Finding a replacement roof skin can be chore in itself. However, there isn't a whole lot of 2-dr Lemans coupes out there, complete or parts cars.

Again, I'd like to extend my welcome to you and your son.

I do recall a member having a Malibu coupe with a rusted out roof. He later found a roof section, but said that the rest of the car was too far gone, so I think he gave up on the project. It was also intended to be a father and son project.
Perhaps you could hook up with him and purchase his roof? Just a thought. He's in South Carolina.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That sedan looks pretty shot but the wagon is sweet! Definitely a candidate for a Pontiac V-8.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor