With or Without a divider...dual sub box

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
I'm not an audio expert. From googleing this i've read that as long as the subs are identical and are powered by a single amp in mono it shouldn't matter. I've also read that w/out a divider, it might affect the driver of the subs and cause premature failure.
The reason I ask is because I have a dual box with a divider that is a couple inches offcentered.
My options are;
-Try to move the existing divider so that it is centered
-Cut another divider and place it equally offcenter to make two identical sized chambers
-Take a router to the divider and open it up

Hoping the third option is okay cause it'd be the easiest.

Every box i have ever bought had dividers in them .My cousin tells me that the ones with out the divider don't his as hard as the ones with .

It is usually best to have each subwoofer running in its own isolated airspace, especially in a sealed box. This is because if one of the subwoofers blow in a single chambered box, it could cause the other subwoofer(s) to unload and you could end up ruining the subwoofers that aren't blown.

The box we built for my brother's '81 has two 12" JL audio subs (I forget which series but they are pretty old now) and didn't install a divider. The box itself is also smaller than it technically should be but it still hits pretty hard and has been doing it for 10+ years.

He took it to an SPL competition years ago just for fun and I think it measured something around 125-130 decibles.

That being said, I have a single 10" Kenwood sub in a sealed box being fed with more power and it hits even harder than his. Also sounds tighter.

dividers are very important with sealed boxes. If the divider was removed the sound waves or sound pressure can bounce off one sub and onto the other if that makes sense which can cause distortion and could cause your sub to blow out or wear out prematurly. sounds like a typical prefab box that wasnt built properly. dont think it will hurt if the divider is a little off center, one chamber will just be a tad bit smaller then the other. you could always add a little polyfill to the smaller chamber to make up for the lesser amount of air space. (pollyfill tricks the sub into performing like it is in a larger enclosure) or you could always stuff both sides, just dont put so much in there that it interferes with the cone movement.

in refrence to the above post, im not saying it isnt possible but 125-130 db is hard to obtain in a sealed enclosure, was it possibly vented? if so, vented/ ported boxes dont need a divider.

Remember that it's 2, two -- different audio components, not one (as opposed to just having one sub in a box), so treat them as such. Having no divider doesn't offer any benefits, but as stated by others it has drawbacks.

The link that 442_7.5 recomended had consensus that a divider is not needed. Someone also posted this which I thought was interesting, but no one else on that forum would confirm or deny it, "I have heard that using multiple subs in one chamber will affect dampening and you actually need only about 75% of the additional space with the second sub. So two drivers that require 10 cubic feet together would only need 17.5 cubes."

I was planning on just stuffing it as is at first, but then I started to obsess over what the end result would be. Meaning that I am worried that if the area is different on each side that the subs will sound different and cause conflicting tones...if that makes sense.

ATLMonte88 said:
in refrence to the above post, im not saying it isnt possible but 125-130 db is hard to obtain in a sealed enclosure, was it possibly vented? if so, vented/ ported boxes dont need a divider.

It's a sealed box. I'm the one that built it and obviously got lucky considering it was my first box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor