Wondering rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPguy1984

n00b
Apr 11, 2018
Will a 66 Chevelle/Malibu rear end work in a gbody. I've found one for $500. It all looks right for the mounts?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
64 to 67 Chevelle rear is 2.5" wider than a G body rear. You'll need conversion upper and a joint on the lower control arm on the rear end side. I have a 67 Chevelle rear end in my GP and I used UMI control arms with their roto joints

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
2.5" too wide is actually about perfect if you want to run a "square" set-up with 8" wide wheels or wider all around, without wheel adapters. I WISH the factory G-body Rear axle was 2.5-3" wider.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Is that the 12 bolt or 8.2 10 bolt? From the price it sounds like an 8.2 but one never knows. I paid $600 for the 8.2 and it came with the Eaton posi. If you get the rear end you should check the thrust washers on the pinion shaft. There was a service bulletin for those thrust washers cause the material they were made of was too soft and they wore out prematurely. I checked the thrust washers in mine and they were paper thin so not all were changed out under the bulletin. I got new ones from this place

http://www.iwerearendsonly.com/

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Also, if you plan on being part of this forum...how about an introduction?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor