woody decal removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Along with the heat gun we also used enamel reducer/acetone to help wash the adhesive off.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Btw, you mentioned '81 Cutlass wagon. Are you sure you didn't mean '81 Malibu wagon?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I've used this before, seems to work pretty good when used as directed. Spray the perimeter of the decal, let it sit a few minutes, peel as much as will come off easy, then repeat. Worked great on bumper stickers, left almost no adhesive, but your woodgrain is much bigger and has been there much longer than any bumper sticker... For some reason though, this stuff DOES NOT work well on leftover adhesive if you've already pulled a decal off.

Professional-Strength-Label-Sticker-Remover.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
Btw, you mentioned '81 Cutlass wagon. Are you sure you didn't mean '81 Malibu wagon?
:unsure:
I have cutlass on the brain. But yes, it is a malibu. Just in today for out of province inspection and new windshield and I am cruising. Have my 81 cutlass that is about to become a parts car. GN posi, drop spindles, c4 brakes, etc., and the wheels of course.
IMG_0332.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
:unsure:
I have cutlass on the brain. But yes, it is a malibu. Just in today for out of province inspection and new windshield and I am cruising. Have my 81 cutlass that is about to become a parts car. GN posi, drop spindles, c4 brakes, etc., and the wheels of course.
View attachment 137614
Sounds like you're going to transfer all the goodies off of your '81 Cutlass to the '81 Malibu wagon.
I'm guessing the Cutlass is terminal? It looks pretty nice in the picture, but pictures as we've found can be deceiving.
Keep us updated on your progress.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
FWIW, in my past experiences, (lots of ~decade old police cruisers), the vinyl is so dried out that the wheels don't really work. We usually wind up using lots of solvent, plastic razor blades and a shitton of hourly help labor to get them de-marked

Not sure how hard 40 year old DiNoc is going to be.

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
Sounds like you're are going to transfer all the goodies off of your '81 Cutlass to the '81 Malibu wagon.
I'm guessing the Cutlass is terminal? It looks pretty nice in the picture, but pictures as we've found can be deceiving.
Keep us updated on your progress.
it is not terminal, actually has had new frame rails done and has a lot of suspension goodies, just has some bodywork to get done and I am in the middle of nowhere. I have no interest/use for it but the wagon I will drive a lot for business (shopping, literally will be a grocery getter).
As well, I will get the same amount of money here for it without the gn posi and wheels, etc as with. You know how it goes. Nobody will pay what car is worth and they want all the goodies for nothing. Will put it back together, but with the stock drivetrain, etc. Or part it, owes me nothing at this point.
Will put up a build thread when I accomplish more than just getting the inspection. Tomorrow is the start of wagon-palooza. first day off in weeks.

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
FWIW, in my past experiences, (lots of ~decade old police cruisers), the vinyl is so dried out that the wheels don't really work. We usually wind up using lots of solvent, plastic razor blades and a shitton of hourly help labor to get them de-marked

Not sure how hard 40 year old DiNoc is going to be.
i took a wire paint stripper wheel that removes paint to it for fun and it did practically nothing. I found a roll of vinyl woody decal material I got at a garage sale a few years ago in my garage I forgot about. Going to polish up the rest of the car, remove the trim, sand it down/clean the old decal and just go right on top of it. Tested a piece and it sticks well and the trim holds it down so it will be a woody again. Or still I guess.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor