Would not having shroud cause overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

palehorse78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 25, 2011
Hi guys , I would like to know if not having a fan shroud cause my regal to overheat? i have a 307 motor and on a hot summer day i can go three miles and i can hear my radiator boiling. i dont have my temp gauges hooked up yet

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Simple answer YES.
The longer answer the shroud helps to funnel the air through the radiator and to the fan. It may not be the whole reason that your car is overheating though.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
First get a temp. gauge hooked up even if you have to install an aftermarket one for the time being.
If you are running a stock belt driven fan it was designed to run with a shroud and without it could very well cause it to run hot but you need to know what the temp. is first.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Yes, you need a shroud. Although, I don't think not having the shroud would cause it to overheat that quickly. Go to the junkyard & get a shroud off any 78-88 olds powered (307 or 260) Cutlass or Regal. Shouldn't cost more than $15-20. Also, DO NOT drive w/o a temp gauge, go to harbor freight & get a set of cheapo $15 gauges. They will have temp, oil pressure, volts all in one. Cheap insurance! If its getting hot that quick, it might need a thermostat or water pump.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Evan's 85 said:
Yes, you need a shroud. Although, I don't think not having the shroud would cause it to overheat that quickly. Go to the junkyard & get a shroud off any 78-88 olds powered (307 or 260) Cutlass or Regal. Shouldn't cost more than $15-20. Also, DO NOT drive w/o a temp gauge, go to harbor freight & get a set of cheapo $15 gauges. They will have temp, oil pressure, volts all in one. Cheap insurance! If its getting hot that quick, it might need a thermostat or water pump.

Bad EGR valve, or a nasty vacuum leak will cause overheating too.

Spacely

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 28, 2012
DMV
I have a 85 Regal with small block 350.. No shroud at all & no overheating.. Middle of the summer I have sat in DC rush hour traffic & have never had an issue.. Temp gets to 210 then cools down..

palehorse78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 25, 2011
hi guys revived this post cause my car is still overheating i put it down for maybe a year cause it one thing after another however i did get some things done to it i flushed the radiator,new thermostat
i had a serious vacuum leak fixed, well my mechanic noticed that i have a v6 radiator but i have a v8 motor.could this cause it to over heat?

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
palehorse78 said:
hi guys revived this post cause my car is still overheating i put it down for maybe a year cause it one thing after another however i did get some things done to it i flushed the radiator,new thermostat
i had a serious vacuum leak fixed, well my mechanic noticed that i have a v6 radiator but i have a v8 motor.could this cause it to over heat?

A smaller radiator could cause it to run hot.Have you checked your oil for a milky or creamy look? This would be worst case scenario but If your oil has that it could be a head gasket issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor