wow am I surprised! 3.8 exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

Since I got my GP a few months back, the exhaust system has been garbage. Holes, and a bad muffler, a sour smell, and just alltogether crappy-ness. I patched a hole or two and it began sounding a bit better. But yesterday I picked up a new muffler. I've had good experiences with Dynomax Super-Turbos on 2 of my other cars, and 2 of my friends used them on their cars becasue of me. But I didn't want to spend double on the Dynomax when I could get a Thrush for half the cost. Keep in mind that my GP is only a 3.8. So when the swap goes in (if noone buys the car), obviously a new exhaust system will be installed anyway. So I didn't care much. So after some hacking and bending and bleeding, I slid the old muffler and tail pipe sections off the car. When I turned the car on without an exhaust, I was actually pleasantly surprised. A real low rumble with a hint of backfire. Not too bad for 110 hp. So without a proper clamp in hand, I just slid the Thrush over the existing pipe and held it up with my jack. DAMN! The car is so much nicer sounding now. At idle it's really nice and deep. I wasn't able to road test it yet because of the lack of a clamp, but I'll keep y'all posted. Now I have 2 Dynomax's on my 04 Monte SS 3.8 and the GP 3.8 was much deeper when I revved it up. Idle was similar, but the differences were noticible when you revved it. The Monte is more raspy and it makes a wrinn sound, the GP is a more classic whoom sound. My parents have my digi and video camera on vacation, so upon their return, I'll be sure to post a clip or two.

Happy G-Body-ing!

:wink:

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Yea, my lawnmower makes the same rumble when I remove the muffler! :D

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Actually, I left a part out. haha! What I was getting at with the sans muffler discussion was that I removed the muffler and tailpipe on a friends '91(?) Ford Crown Vic with the 5.0 V8 and the 3.8 Buick motor sounded better. The 5.0 was burbly, but really uncontrolled. It was "random" you'd say. There were probably a ton of holes or something.

:p

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a friend who owns a shop that does alot of work on GN's. The upgrade they have for the exhaust is a single 3" stainless pipe from front (with a 3" cat) to back and no muffler...the 3.8 sounds nice at idle with that set up and yes it is a turbo but at idle there is no boost.... :D

PiZZaMaN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2006
North Royalton, OH
u can buy thrush at autozone or advance auto parts or murrays discount auto parts, they are like the most common generic "performance" mufflers on the face of the earth only second to the thrush glasspack

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor