Wtf new gaskets?

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
I replaced my weatherstripping on my driver door and body, now the door is hard to close and my top of the door gap is off. How the hell can gaskets ruin my door gap? This car is all original and the door gaps were perfect beforehand. My door pins are fine and my latch is fine

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Source of the weather stripping? Even .5mm thicker over stock multiplied over several inches adds up.

Double check your install. And double check (compare) your replacement stripping with the old. Somewhere in there you have added to the thickness and door won't close properly, as noted.

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Aftermarket weatherstripping does not fit as well as the discontinued OEM weatherstripping.

• Agree

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
Source of the weather stripping? Even .5mm thicker over stock multiplied over several inches adds up.

Double check your install. And double check (compare) your replacement stripping with the old. Somewhere in there you have added to the thickness and door won't close properly, as noted.
Yeah but even weatherstripping can change my door gaps?? Like I slam my door closed and my door gaps are off. I just took it off and they are good now

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
Yes there have been a few complaints about that subject:

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The material used on the repops are different than the OE's. Not sure for the reason for using a different foam rubber composition unless it's what the older cars used & just cheaper/easier to use what they have on hand. If these cars were Vettes or Muscle Car era cars the foam rubber would of been redone several times until they get just right.

• Agree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Yeah but even weatherstripping can change my door gaps?? Like I slam my door closed and my door gaps are off. I just took it off and they are good now

I had the same issue using aftermarket seals. Aftermarket upper roof rail weatherstripping seals ok but aftermarket lower door seals don't fit well at all. With aftermarket lower door seals the end pads are not molded to the correct factory shape and lack molded in reinforcing plates that prevent ripping like the OE door seals use.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Like everything else in the world it’s all about the money. To spend the time and money to make them just like the OE will raise the price point to where the majority of people will not spend the dollars that it would cost for the finished product.

Add to that the fact that they’re having to reverse engineer them not produce them from an OE in-house generated drawing It’s a miracle that there as close as they are

Reactions: 6 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
The original OEM were open cell foam very spongy. Not sure of durometer, never tested one.

If the newer is stiffer it won't crush down. If using closed cell it will trap air, and further won't crush down. This could be causing the discrepancy.

• Agree

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
This may not count since it's different cars, but Haff Rod's (who did a beautiful resto of a 78 Cutlass Salon over here) YT channel has been covering his extensive 55 Chevy build. In one of the videos he mentioned putting in his door weather strip (new). He said that when installing new WS don't freak out about the door gaps and alignment. After the door has sat in the closed position for a week or so, the rubber will start to relax and the fitment will return.

Does this count for GBody's? Not sure. Incorrect end pieces won't fix themselves if that's the issue.

I despair when I read these WS threads, because I'm going to have to go through this myself eventually.

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor